Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early MK4 VR6 Problems?

Hi Guys,

My cousin is looking into purchasing a an early (2000, 2001) MK4 VR6 Jetta but somebody recommended that she stay away from those since they had a few problems. Wondering if anybody knows of any problems or recalls that have happened with early model MK4 VR6's. Any feedback is appretiated.

Thanks.
    Got 5?

Re: Early MK4 VR6 Problems?

To the contrary the 12v VR6 was quite old by then and had been fairly proven. But they may have recommended getting a 24v VR6 because its more powerful. As far as I know both the 12v and 24v are great but of course more valves is better haha.

12v, 174hp VR6's were available in MKIV's from 1999.5 until around 2002.5.

24v, 200hp VR6's were avaialble in MKIV's from around 2002.5 on.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Gotcha!
      So no specific problems that you know of?
      Maybe the person saying this just had a bad experience with a VR6.
      Got 5?

Comment

Originally posted by BoraMK4 View Post
        Gotcha!
        So no specific problems that you know of?
        Maybe the person saying this just had a bad experience with a VR6.
        I dunno the VR6 is pretty good as far as VW goes. Get it serviced and its a good 6c engine.
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I think maybe he was referring to that year of Golf and Jetta, and not necessarily the VR6 engine. There were a few issues with coil packs, window regulators, and what not. Those problems were common among all the engine options for those years (except TDIs don't use coilpacks)

Jeff
          Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
          hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
          sigpic

Comment

I was referring to the VR6 in general. I knew the window regulators were a common problem but didn't know about the coilpacks. Thanks for your help though!
            Got 5?

Comment

I had a coilpack replaced on warranty on my 2000 VR6, other than that it was a fine car...oh...there was the window deal but that had nothing to do with it being a VR6..

Comment

I haven't had any coilpack issues on my 1999.5 MkIV GTI VR6. The motor has been pretty strong and I can't complain. It's been good to me, although it only has 73,000km on it so far.
                Brandon

Comment

also the intake shifter rod is a common problem along with coil packs
                  the bushings wear out on the rod and it causes a rattle sound fairly cheap fix

Comment

Working...
                  X