• Show
Clear All

Re: Rebuild, swap progress GTi

where do i buy this 'super clean' ?
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Purple bottle, right lower corner of the picture. $5.** in Auto Value, sometimes also marked as Castrol

Last edited by PrezeS_PL; 01-03-2007, 02:39 AM.
      Chris

DR1665: "DSM: Turning average guys into master mechanics since 1989."

Comment

nice thanks, so no scrubbing involved?
        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Castrol super clean is about the strongest cleaner you can buy, they once ran an add on how you can make a bunch of other degreasers on the market by delouting their product by a certain percentage. I use it on everything but you have to be careful of the fumes as they are strong!
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

just spotted the corolla on 18st, didn't see it drifting around corners...
            2002 VW Golf GT TDI
            2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Originally posted by bart View Post
              just spotted the corolla on 18st, didn't see it drifting around corners...
              That’s unusual

So few thing got done today.
              First, the subframe got reinforced, welded-up and installed.
              Next, the long awaited thing happened - the engine and 02J went in.

PS. I need brackets for the mount for the 02A tranny.
              Last edited by PrezeS_PL; 01-04-2007, 02:23 AM.
              Chris

Comment

It's interesting to follow your progress. You need to spray some of that Super Clean on your garage floor!!!
                2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                  It's interesting to follow your progress. You need to spray some of that Super Clean on your garage floor!!!
                  My place had double garage and some 15 years ago previous owner decided to add third right to it, the floor in that bay is some kind of asphalt, very rough and absorbs anything that spills. I was thinking of cleaning it and painting to seal it but never have the time - or rather empty space.
                  Chris

Comment

Working mostly inside the car. Got the seat mount done, mkIV clutch pedal location figured out, steering column lowered - still need to extended it and remove the lock. Roll cage tide to the body in few more places. Some more stitch welding inside.
                    I’m stuck with the motor until I find the bracket for the tranny. Poly bushings and materials are all here to do copy of the VWMS but cant get to it until I make sure everything seats where it spouse to be. If anybody has one for sale or is willing to lend me one for day or two pleas pm me.
                    Chris

Comment

Are you looking for the bracket or the part number? I've got part numbers for both the parts you need as I had to get them for my 02J. Did you figure out what you're doing with the front mount? The front mount from a MKIII TDI is the best from what I hear, but I made my 020 mount work. I just got some longer bolts from an Audi's starter (I've got part numbers for that too if you need).

As for the clutch, are you going to use the pedal cluster for the Passat/Corrado or are you custom mounting the MKIV clutch pedal/master/slave setup?

Nice looking 1.8T!!!!
                      Last edited by dubCanuck1; 01-17-2007, 09:20 PM.
                      1989 Golf Diesel (2001 TDI powered before teh apocalypse)
                      1992 Jetta TD
                      2001 Jetta TDI
                      1999 GTI resto
                      1996 AEB GTI project

Comment

Just need the aluminum one since the ears on top of the tranny will be use for custom to frame rail mount, just like the one on VWMotorsport kitcar shell. I got the stuff ready but without the rear mount, I have to keep the tranny on the jack. I kind of guessed the height and it looks good but still prefer to check that using rear mount before I start welding stuff.

For the front mount I used the early mkII mount that I got filled up with urethane, did the same to the rear mount and got few spears from p&p and got them all filed. So far so good did not have to replace any. Stock new one lasted 2 rallies, even VWMS does not last.

Still need to get the longer bolts, for now I just didn’t install the starter.

What did you pay for new piece and the bolts?
                        Chris

Comment

I think the bolts were like $6.00 each from 5th ave. Part number....
                          N 104 713 01. They are an M10 X 160mm, so if you can get bolts from a supplier, that's what you need to get. The ones I got had a hex head, not an allen head...Here's a pic. The Audi S8/Phaeton ones are in the middle. The top one is the stock 020. The bottom ones were some M10x150's that I got from Triad that were just too short.

1992 Jetta TD
                          2001 Jetta TDI
                          1999 GTI resto
                          1996 AEB GTI project

Comment

BTW, I assume you're putting the frame mount on there for additional rigidity?
                            1992 Jetta TD
                            2001 Jetta TDI
                            1999 GTI resto
                            1996 AEB GTI project

Comment

Thanks man I get that ordered, I actually prefer the hex head over the alan. What is the P/N on that 02A bracket, how much and how long did you have to wait for it?

Frame rail mount should fix few issues
                              - take the tranny and some of the engine load of the sub frame
                              - Additional rigidity - it is solid right now with those urethane-filled mounts, before with stock mounts the motor tilted so much in the corners that it was hard to shift - rod shift - not an issue with cable shift.
                              - extend the life of the other mounts by taking some of the abuse

VW had change to rail mounts for mkIV

This is mk3 kitcar ex-works, look at the sub frame both of the mounts are gone, some kind of stabilizer with spherical bearing in the middle, now look closely at the frame rail just above the wheel, looks familiar? mkI , there is another one across, on timing belt side,

more pictures at http://www.vwmotorsport.com/cataloge...%20Rebuild.pdf
                              Chris

Comment

The 02A console part number is 357 199 353 A (WorldImpex part number 53911). That's the part that goes from the diff and meets up with the bracket on the tranny mount.

I bought mine from World Impex and it took about 10 days to show up, along with a $40 brokerage fee from UPS. You can probably get it from the dealer within two days for less than Impex+shipping+border rape.

Here's a link to a guy doing a straight up 02J swap with cable shift, not hydro. It has some other part numbers if you're interested....

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3012165
                                1992 Jetta TD
                                2001 Jetta TDI
                                1999 GTI resto
                                1996 AEB GTI project

Comment

Working...
                                X