My headliners finished!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My headliners finished!!

Well i removed my headliner back in July, and i just finished it and put it back in yesterday. I must of spent at least 30 hours taking it out, reupholstering it, and putting it back in, took so long cause i was lazy. The hardest part was taking out the fold down mirrors cause it has like a hook style clip that you dont know about till its out.

Then removing the sliding sunroof cover was a pita, i broke one of the clips. When i had it out of the car i never put one of the drain tube clips back on properly so instead of water going down the drain tube it leaked onto my back seat. The A, and C pillars were the easiest to cover in suede, the sunroof cover was fairly easy also.

The hardest was around the sunroof b/c the fabric doesnt stretch, around the holy sh!t handles, and the mirrors/sunroof motor area. I also coudlnt get the B pillar done with out wrinkling, but i dont have anymore suede left either so those 2 pillars are not done yet.

Im not very satisified with how it turned out theres quite a bit of wrinkles, but it was my first time doing anything like this. Heres the pics...

I havent actually wired the boost gauge yet i dont know how to yet..

The worst visible areas-

Justin

Re: My headliners finished!!

paint your interior pieces black and your golden

looks good though
    Dayle

GTI

Mk3's

Comment

o ya i used like 2 metres of fabric which cost me around $30, and 1.5 bottles of 3m Glue. so in total $60 ish, plus what i have to buy to finish my 2 b pillars.

now i wonder how long till the headliner starts sagging
      Justin

Comment

After almost a year and ahalf mine hasn't sagged at all. The only problem is that the pillars will fade due to the sun, good thing I bought lots
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Looks awesome man! How did you cover the sunroof panel. It looks like you painted the long vent/handle from grey to black. Did you remove the plastic section, spray it black, recover the panel and reinstall the handle?
          Cheers
          Derek
          Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
          -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
          -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

ya i took out the plastic handle painted it, reupholstered it, then put it back. the handle didnt fit very well afterwards since it was thicker from the fabric but its not noticeable. i also painted the rear view mirror black, and the little center sun visor, im kinda still debating if i should paint the holy shiz handles, id think that after a while the paint would start to come off since everyone always grabs them.
            Justin

Comment

scotchguard with UV it..

Comment

I tried that Ryan, only worked to a certain degree. If you use Krylon fusion and a clear coat on the handles you should be ok, I haven't had any problems.
                Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

yea thats the prob.. you need to get automotive alcantara it has the UV built in,etc whereas if you just buy ultra suede or microsuede it will fade from the sun :(

Comment

Wow
                    That looks awsome!
                    Makes me want to redo mine
                    -Drew
                    2001 "BORA" GLS 1.8T
                    1990 Lincoln Continental

Comment

thanks.
                      it definatly takes alot of time and its pretty frustrating at times.
                      Justin

Comment

The hardest part I found was doing the stupid door surround rubbers. It took forever to cut and glue them on. Ohh and painting every stupid piece of plastic too.

Comment

I just bought all the oem pieces in black, better feeling and oem feel.

and go ahead and order the black door seals, looks funky w/ white seals.
                          Simon

Comment

haha for the time being im not to concerned with white handles or door trim, im happy i have a headliner in my car after like 3 months of having it removed. ill eventually paint the handles and do the trim in suede.
                            Justin

Comment

Do the trim in suede? Don't think that will work out that well, I highly suggest getting the OEM black door seals.
                              Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X