Annoying little sound????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying little sound????

Hey guys, I have this very annoying tink-ing sound (only way to discribe it) coming from I believe under the car on the driver side. It only occurs when I hit about 20 km then it goes away as I speed up...if I'm costing in a parking lot or at a set of lights it keeps happening every time I hit about 20 km. I guess I could discribe the sound as something small and aluminum bouncing of the pavement....if that makes any sense. I took it in to South centre and they were baffled....so I turn to you experienced guys to try and figure this out. If you think you might know please post. Cheers!

Re: Annoying little sound????

rocks in rotor dust-guard?
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

There could be gravel stuck in the heat shield for the exhaust.
      1) 2007 Candy white MKV GTI. DSG, votex kit, 19" Privat netz, tinted tails, smoked side markers & mirror signals, 20% tint, TT stubby, APR sport 3" turbo back exhaust, ABD stage 2 cold air intake. GONE.
      2) 1993 Green Corrado VR6. ABD intake. FK Silverline coils, Zimmerman cross drilled & slotted rotors. GONE.

Comment

Could be rear wheel bearing. Mine made a noise like that before it went (a couple months ago), at low speed and seemed to go away as you speed up. Luckily it got really bad as I was pulling out of my buddies shop so I just pulled back in and got it fixed.

With the car on the ground, grab the wheel from the top and tug on it or shake it, it should not move (relative to the axle). I had about 1/4" motion on the outer edge before I replaced the bearing.

Hope that helps. If you figure out thats what you need, order the parts from Corry at MyTires, hub assembly (with bearing) was about $120 if I recall. Can't get the bearing separately. Dealer wanted over $200.
        Jeff
        Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
        Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Comment

i'm having a similar problem with the rattle noise w/e it occurs around 4000 rpm, i'm almost certain its the heat shield wit gravel or something. is there a simple process to get rid of the noise or do i have to jack it up and mess around wit the heat shield? what exactly am i suppose to do? this noise has driven me over the edge, help!

Comment

I thought about the gravel situation but why would the sound only occur at 20km, I mean its pretty much exactly when the speedometer hits 20 the little sound starts tinking away....Its pretty consistent as well, a few little tinks then its done until I get t0 20 km again, and it will occur on the acceleration or decceleration, it is driving me nutz....I will check the wheel bearing tonight, thankx.

Comment

I have the same thing. everybody told me that its the heatshield but i cant find any gravel there... i just gave up. just turn up the stereo louder
              Plowing the streets of north side

Comment

I had the same noise with my car also, looked it over and was unable to find what was the cause? It went away about a month ago though.
                It was speed related also, up to 20 km and under it was there, over 20 km gone
                12 Volvo XC 90
                03 Jetta1.8T
                95 Cabrio VRT
                90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

i would assume this is VERY rare, but i had aluminum hub rings, which had next to no play along the circumference (where is is important), but you dont have to force them in to the wheel, or on to the hub - they do slide freely in and out. The tapered edge of the hub ring didn't quite sit flush against the hub/rotor on the car, so it moved a very little bit along the hub, back and fourth, while the wheel was on. Since there is no stress on a hub ring once the wheel is tightened on (at least there shouldnt be too much.. its for centering, not support), it would clink back and fourth. I was covinced this couldn't be the case, but for fun i wraped a little teflon tape arount the ring so that it fit tight, and the clinking stopped. If this would ever happen, it would only ever be in the front i think, the rear hubs usually cram the hub rings in tight to the wheel (sometimes break them even.. :( ). Would also never happen if you had the rings for any length of time, as they tend to corrode, and get crap in there that jams them in to the wheel, or on to the hub.

again, im still somewhat thinking this was a coincidence that the noise stopped.. but it could be possible. The plastic rings i have now fit much tighter.
                  Last edited by stefan; 09-28-2006, 03:31 PM.
                  Stefan
                  -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                  -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                  -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                  -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                  X