Calgary Coachworks not great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary Coachworks not great

I'm going to start spewing negativity again, so if that bothers you click the back button. Otherwise, lets continue!

As some of you know, my car was in Calgary Coachworks last month, for my unfortunate (but light) incident with a deer. The car was booked in back on June 5th, and finally went in the shop on Jul 24. I had a crappy rental car (how they can compare a GTI with a Pontiac Pursuit, I don't know), and hoped it would all be over soon.....wrong...

First off, I went in to get the estimate. I myself and the shop estimate guy had determined the following needed to be fixed:

Repair/repaint hood
    Replace headlight (pass)
    Replace Grille
    Repaint bumper (stress cracks)
    Repaint fender (pass)
    Replace Windshield

So, off the car goes. First thing when I drop it off, my insurance company changes the policy. Now they send someone out to do the estimate when the car is dropped off...Well there goes all the damage hunting we did earlier....plus that means the headlight or grille wasn't pre-ordered....I wasn't too pleased.....

I've got what I feel is very good body shop experience, having spent 3 years full time. I know how long this takes, and if its longer than a week, thats just bad service.

FFWD to 3 weeks later...no word from them, so I stop in....well it won't be done another week, not sure what the hold up is, and they won't show me the estimate or repair sheet so I don't know what all got fixed? Shoulda pressed harder....

4 weeks: Finally go to pick up the car, yay! Drop off the rental, show up to Coachworks, and the bitches didn't paint my bumper.....Plus, I get in the car to drive off, and they didn't put in a signal lamp to the new headlight! Plus the new headlight isn't aimed!!! ARRGHGH.....Again, going back to my previous experience, you check EVERYTHING before the car goes out, and when you install a headlight, aim the Fing thing right away like you're supposed to!! And another thing, they didn't install my foglight!! And they didn't paint the underside of my hood (even though it was on the repair bill, and they got paid for it!!!)....

Sigh....those are just the coachworks problems....My insurance company is just as evil....I pay them THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of dollars over the last 10 years of insurance thru them, and they cheap out on a few things...Namely, the bumper for starters, c'mon it woulda been an easy fix to refinish the bumper, and I don't care if it already had rock chips on it, there is NEW damage, so correct it....Next up, they chose to "repair and refinish" the grille....thats great, but everyone here knows how strong a 2 bar badgeless grille is, well try it with a bunch of GLUE holding it together....it broke the first time the wind hit it! So they cheaped out on buying a $115 dollar grille....Now for the wierd part, they painted the passenger fender, hood, and drivers fender....why is that wierd? THERE WAS NO DAMAGE ON THE D FENDER! yup....paint the good fender, leave the bad bumper....SMRT.....Oh, and the windshield wasn't replaced either....All I ask is that the car is repaired to the state is was before the accident, and a glued together grille and cracked windshield and paint cracked bumper is not that...

So, has anyone gathered I'm pissed yet? I'm starting with the insurance company, and forcing them to fix what they should have, and then deal with coachworks....The repair took too long, the general workmanship was shoddy, the only good thing was the quality of the paint work..it looks good.....FWIW a good friend of mine has her brand new Jetta in there too, hit a coyote and its taken a month aswell....
    Last edited by Aleks; 09-18-2006, 06:47 PM.
    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Re: Calgary Coachworks not great

Originally posted by Aleks
    So, has anyone gathered I'm pissed yet? I'm starting with the insurance company, and forcing them to fix what they should have, and then deal with coachworks....The repair took too long, the general workmanship was shoddy, the only good thing was the quality of the paint work..it looks good.....FWIW a good friend of mine has her brand new Jetta in there too, hit a coyote and its taken a month aswell....
    I hear your pain. My dad crashed his 540 last year, and the Bodyshop (exotic) hasn't even given him a freaking quote yet! It's been 9 months!!!!

So he finally just bought a new car, and is going to throw the book at the bodyshop.

It seems in this city, trying to get anything accomplished is like pulling teeth!
    Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

Comment

yup...I always hear how customer service in this city sucks...and judging by my experiences at various shops and stores in Calgary in the last 2 years, I have to agree.....I have friends from BC who can't believe how poorly customers get treated here..
      2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
      2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
      2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

thats a drag.. i've had pretty good luck with them. but yeah, right now, everyone has inexperienced guys working in positions they shouldnt be in...
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

They had my car for 6 weeks.

No real problems with work other than a few spots that were shaved. You can still see where the antenna was shaved...

Tried getting my new grill painted last month, the guy couldn't find my car on file to get the correct paint code.

Oh well I guess
          Graeme

2015 S4
          2018 Monster 1200S

Comment

My car is there right now... been there for 3 weeks, but it sat out front for 2 of them without moving.... all just to fix some fender damage.... I hope they do a better job than they did on your guys' cars.

Edit: They are also painting and installing my new front bumper and grille.
            Last edited by Mr. Burns; 09-18-2006, 07:53 PM.

Present
            2010 Audi A4 S-Line
            2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
            2003 VW Jetta GLI
            1992 VW Jetta GL
            1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

other down side is that they do a lot of dealer work, and i think they give dealers priority....
              Stefan
              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I also dont like that place, took my moms car there when she hit a parked car, way too much money got spent, way more than they told me up front. They did a shitty job and took too long. They suck.

Insurance will always screw you though, gotta expect it
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Another thing. My sisters car was rear ended the winter before last. They did the repair work (tail lights, bumper, paint, etc). Her car is now going in for I think the 6th time to get her leaky trunk problem fixed. Whenever it rains her trunk fills up with water. It has also caused the inner tail lights to turn yellow (mk3 jetta m3 tails).

I just hope I get my paint code from them so I can get my stuff painted elseware...
                  Graeme

2015 S4
                  2018 Monster 1200S

Comment

I don't have any experience with them, but I got my rear bumper resprayed last winter at SOS bodyshop right beside the ctrain tracks off of MacLeod Trail. Excellent work, they got it done pretty quickly, and with no hassles. Plus the guy that gave me the quote was always willing to help out. I had a couple questions a few weeks later when the dealership tried to claim an unrelated problem was caused by being rear-ended (the reason for the bumper respray.); and he took the time to come outside and look at it for me without hesitation. Granted, it was only a bumper re-spray, but still I was pleased with the service. If Calgary coachworks is slipping, it might be worth checkin them out.

Comment

I thought it would be better if dealers trust them to do the work, but yeah...wrong idea. I've had great service from GM dealers I've used before when I drove my pontiac, with good work done....But that was all in house....hopefully I get a return call from my insurance company today...

Comment

Alex is your insurance Molesh Monix because that sounds like my experiance with them and I still can't drop the bastages because my claim is still not settled 2 years later...
                        Name: Brent
                        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
                          Alex is your insurance Molesh Monix because that sounds like my experiance with them and I still can't drop the bastages because my claim is still not settled 2 years later...

oh man those guys r a nightmare to do a claim with

Comment

1'st off, I don't think dealers get priority unless they're newer vehicles. I think they decide which is more important by the size of the job and the money they make. Also working at a dealership I have to deal with insurance companies on a regular basis, and EVIL is an extreme under-statement! you pay the guys thounsands and they help with pennies. I sent my body kit for MKV to the body shop to get painted and installed. book 1 month in advance and left the car before i went to mexico. Told the guys the had three weeks to paint and install the kit before I was to take ownership of the car. Well, I got back and they hadn't even painted the kit yet. Then after harrasing them for another week they call me and tell me that the "oem" glue kit for the kit is a seperate special order item that doesn't come with the kit. fine enough. However, had they opened the box of the kit when they said they would they would have found the paper with HUGE type font explaining this and it coulda been ordered much earlier... well attempted to be ordered. Turns out the glue kit is now unavailable from VW, so then they tell me they have a better, stronger glue that in thier "opinion" will work much better. Now riddle me this batman, why on gods green earth would you NOT use this glue kit to begin with if you think it's better?!? I am by no means a body shop guy, so why do I have to explain to someone how to do thier job. Now what gets me more is I had my 2000 civic in there as well to fix up a few things before I sold it and all I need was some sort of wheel to get around. They had both cars for over a month and never made an offer to get me a set of wheels.
                            1) 2007 Candy white MKV GTI. DSG, votex kit, 19" Privat netz, tinted tails, smoked side markers & mirror signals, 20% tint, TT stubby, APR sport 3" turbo back exhaust, ABD stage 2 cold air intake. GONE.
                            2) 1993 Green Corrado VR6. ABD intake. FK Silverline coils, Zimmerman cross drilled & slotted rotors. GONE.

Comment

Guys, just go see Dan at screamin paintworks. I dropped my car off with him to get my hatch shaved and painted, windshield installed and side molding painted and reinstalled.
                              He did it in less than 24 hours for me. No problems, excellent quality and good price too.
                              I'd like to make a statment!
                              2012 Q5
                              2011 A5

Comment

Working...
                              X