Faulty Brake Relay Switch for MK4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty Brake Relay Switch for MK4

For any Golf owners, the following Brake Light Relay Switch recall may affect you (like it did for me). Unfortunately they did not include Golfs in the recall even though car gurus say it is the exact same part/layout and will cause the same problem. So....

Just got off the phone with VW Canada customer service....1 (800) 822-8987...Hours are 8:00 am — 7:00 pm ET Mon — Fri.

Like any problem, they need to hear about a certain number of complaints before they will cover it with recall...yeah stupid that they cover Jetta with same part for same years and not Golf, but they need hear about Golf problems from Golf owners. Squeeky wheel gets the grease, so if you've had the problem or are still having it give them a call, they will document your case and give it a file number. They also informed me that a new recall on this brake relay switch will be coming out in December 2006 to replace the old recall....looks like engineering wasn't good enough first or second time around!

If you do need it replaced...like I do, keep the receipt and if a recall ever happens they will gladly reimburse you (whether its from a VW dealer or not) as long as its a VW part that is installed. Part cost is only ~$15, and then a little labour on top of that.

Chau

Original Recall press release below.....
    "DETROIT, May 26 (Reuters) - Volkswagen AG is recalling 362,000 cars in the United States because a brake light switch may malfunction, according to U.S. safety regulators.

The models involved include the Jetta sedan from 1999-2002 model years, Jetta III from 1999-2000 model years and the New Beetle from 1998-2002 model years, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on its Web site on Friday.

NHTSA said the brake lights could become inoperative, or remain on if installed incorrectly during a previous recall."

Re: Faulty Brake Relay Switch for MK4

the lights do stay on - just like they say.. i had the first recall done, and it was done wrong, so i just bought the 15$ switch and fixed it myself... just got another recall notice that the recall is recalled due to improper installation the first time.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Yes, we got letters for both cars in the mail. I ripped them up and threw them in the garbage when I saw the words "brake light switch" since I knew that we already had it done. Then 2 secs later I went onto Vortex and found out that it was a RE-recall.

Comment

it is goofy to install. i figured it out, but i can see how it could be done wrong. at any rate, vw techs should have been shown how to do it right. the pin on the switch is adjustable in length, and I think thats what was wrong with mine. they put it in with the pin a touch too short, so when the pedal came back, it didnt always push it in far enough to turn the lights off.
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

i also got a letter for this recall, and we just got that switch changed on my moms 05 Jetta TDI a week ago.
          Justin

Comment

Mine just went on friday, fourtunatley I had already fixed it acouple of years ago so I knew how to fix it.

The funny part is the parts dept was closed at 5:30 and I was there at 5:45.So I went around back to try to talk to someone and I ended up talking to a tech that was leaving for the day and he ending up giving me a switch for free.

Now I know why.

Comment

Working...
            X