car troubles..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car troubles..

my car recently went into lethbridge vw (Vanee motors) to repair a rad hose that was knicked by the fan, and i got it back today. i drove it not even 3 kms and it overheated and spewed out coolant everywhere. i had a tech come out and look at the car, and he said it was the water pump that has gone. then i got a call back today saying the pump was fine and now he thinks its the head gasket, or head itself. my question is, how is the car over heating and the water pump not working have to do with the head gasket/head?

btw, this is for a mk4 apr chipped Jetta

Todd

any help would be appriciated
    ~~TODD~~
    '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Re: car troubles..

Had a similar problem with my Toyota pick up it was just vapour locked, We had to pull off a hose to put antifreeze in so the system could flow properly.
    Is the exhaust more white than normal thats what happenend when the head went on my one truck. Hope its a cheap fix for you and not the head.
    Chris :

2004 Jetta TDI Sport SOLD
    2010 Toyota Tundra CrewCab TRD

Comment

the exhaust smoke looks normal, it wasnt sounding right when i drove it for that short period of time...
      ~~TODD~~

Comment

Whatever it is it is their baby to fix, they should have run it up to temp before releasing it to you. Tell them to fill the block through the rad hose and never release the car to a customer until it has run up to temp and the fans have cycled at least once... shoddy workmanship.
        HTH
        Richard
        Last edited by Dubsport Inc; 09-12-2006, 08:00 PM.

Comment

btw the fans were not even working, and the pump wasnt pumping, so that why i thought it was the pump
          ~~TODD~~

Comment

Sounds like an air lock in the block... unusaul but can happen. Just remember although you had a small coolant leak before you did not have car that was undriveable, it is their problem to fix. Throwing parts and excuses is not troubleshooting your car (coolant pump then all of sudden headgasket is unproffesional... troubleshoot it properly and then inform the customer). Your car has not suddenly failed, they failed to conclude the repair, remember this addage that I run my shop by... It is not a mistake until it leaves the shop, meaning verify the car to be 100% before it leaves and you will not make mistakes like not running it up to temp to make sure the fans have cycled to make sure the thermostat etc is functioning.
            Richard

Comment

Richard is the man.

Comment

All those problems just replacing a rad hose? remind me never to go to lethbridge for repairs.
                Name: Brent
                His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

What Engine Is In The Vehicle?

There Is A Safety Recall On Some Of The Tdi's For Internal Coolant Leaks Also.

P/m Ur Vin And I'll Check For Ya
                  1) 2007 Candy white MKV GTI. DSG, votex kit, 19" Privat netz, tinted tails, smoked side markers & mirror signals, 20% tint, TT stubby, APR sport 3" turbo back exhaust, ABD stage 2 cold air intake. GONE.
                  2) 1993 Green Corrado VR6. ABD intake. FK Silverline coils, Zimmerman cross drilled & slotted rotors. GONE.

Comment

Whats With The Caps On Every Word Typed? This Isn't A Newspaper Article Title Is It?
                    REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                    -james

Comment

Overheating can cause the head gasket to crack and can also cause damage to the head, but I do not think that these things cause overheating. Overheating is caused by coolant not circulating, thats it - if the coolant is circulating then its doing its job and the engine will stay cool?

If the coolant isn't circulating, there is some kind of blockage or pump failure. If the pump is fine, its some kind of blockage, either air in the system or a physical problem such as a clogged up rad.

I would guess maybe there was air in the system or coolant leaked out due to an improper repair of the first problem. This could have lead to head/gasket damage due to heat...

I think you can buy a kit that will test coolant to see if there are exhaust gasses present. If so, then you need a new head gasket at least. You should maybe ask about this test before they experiment by taking off the head...
                      KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

so the coolant is circulating, but its pressure is incresing, so they think its the head gasket causing the increase in presssure in the system... or the head..
                        thats the latest.., but they wont know for sure untill they pull off the head and see if its warped or cracked or whatever
                        ~~TODD~~

Comment

Originally posted by Bullfrog
                          What Engine Is In The Vehicle?

There Is A Safety Recall On Some Of The Tdi's For Internal Coolant Leaks Also.

P/m Ur Vin And I'll Check For Ya
                          its the 1.8t so i dunnno if that would help me..
                          ~~TODD~~

Comment

Check your fan wires and make sure they didnt un plug them. Also they wouldent have put a plug in it to stop the car leaking water all over the shop floor and forgot to pull it out?

Comment

Yeah that makes sense, it sounds like maybe a new head gasket - not that cheap usually :(

If the head is coming apart, think about performance upgrades if you have the money... cause labour to take it apart is a big cost
                              KR
                              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
                              X