No announcement yet.

Purchasing from out of Province - PST?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing from out of Province - PST?

Just wondering if someone can point me to an "official" answer regarding purchasing a vehicle in Sask or BC and not paying PST because of being an Alberta Resident and registering it in AB.

Re: Purchasing from out of Province - PST?

edit : if its private there will be no taxes
    Last edited by Silverfire; 09-12-2006, 09:13 AM.
    Dayle

GTI

Mk3's

Comment

I believe you just have to have proof of an address in Alberta and then you can get the PST waived.
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

If you buy a NEW vehicle out of province you will pay the local PST. The only time the provincial tax can be waved is if the goods are being transported out of provinve by a registered carrier and the owner of the vehicle does not sign for or receive the goods within the provinve of purchase.

If the vehicle is used and it is a private sale you will not have to pay PST.

Now you may be able to get the PST back with the filing of paperwork, but I am not certain of that...
        sigpic
        Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire
        Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
        Calgary Alberta, T2E6L5
        888.769.1772 Toll Free
        403.769.1771 tel
        403.769.1773 fax
        bob@urbanexp.ca

Comment

here is a form that can be filled out to waive the pst for bc purchaces.

now im not sure if its just for used vehicles from the dealer or for all vehicles

http://www.rev.gov.bc.ca/ctb/forms/0598FILL.pdf
          Dayle

GTI

Mk3's

Comment

To clarify some points, I'm looking at either a new or CPO VW from a dealer...

Comment

Originally posted by tintin
              Not sure if she's on here much but Cordialtea did it, bought one from her home town in BC I think.
              Jay

Comment

Originally posted by tintin
                if your gona bring a car in from somewhere else why not get it from the states? depends on what car but most are cheaper there even after all the inspections and fees involved.
                Dayle

GTI

Mk3's

Comment

so much misinformation:

- if you bring in a car from out of province you will only have to pay GST.
                  - PST only applies to new goods
                  - GST is supposed to only apply to new goods but cars and houses are the exception
                  - if you bring a car in before it can be insured here it must go through an out of province inspection
                  -you must first register the car here and buy a OOPI tag, this will allow you to drive your car to the shop you get your insurance at this time but not plate
                  -Once the inspection is complete you take all the documents to the Registry and get your plates

There are a few ways around the GST ebing paid, but it is still tax evasion and you can end up getting caught. Do so at your own risk. In BC they deal with it by when you go to register your new car they askf or the bill of sale and charge the GST off of this. You can apply for gift status or lie about the amount. The amount you put down as its worth has nothing to do with how much it is worth when insured, they go by book value.
                  Team Highschool
                  Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo
                    I believe you just have to have proof of an address in Alberta and then you can get the PST waived.
                    you need a drivers license
                    Team Highschool
                    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

i buy cars from out of province all the time and you DONT need to pay the PST
                      RIP 97 Jetta VR

03 A4 1.8T
                      02 MB E320

Comment

Working...
                      X