installing mk3 roof rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing mk3 roof rack

Anybody ever installed there own roof rack before? or do you think i should just suck it up and get it done professionaly?

Re: installing mk3 roof rack

Haven't installed but i've removed one from mine. Should be pretty easy? What are you having trouble with? Is this an OEM rack?

If it's OEM then here goes, I'll try and work backwards (I did this 2 years ago). Should just be able to loosen the clamps off on the rack, Look for arrows where the roof rack should go (the arrows for the front rack will be right in the middle of the door to give you an idea), then pull back the rubber strip along the roof line and there should be connection points right there. Stick the rack in, tighten it up and you're good to go.

Wash rinse repeat. If it's not OEM though then I have no clue as they are all different.

If you still have troubles let me know.
    Jay

Comment

Do it yourself, it will take minutes, just be really careful not to sratch your paint. What brand is it?

Comment

its an oem rack. so shouldnt be too bad then.. and the rubber strip will fall back into place fairly easy right? i havent started it yet as i was worried

Comment

Originally posted by DustyMauve
          its an oem rack. so shouldnt be too bad then.. and the rubber strip will fall back into place fairly easy right? i havent started it yet as i was worried

Not to worry. just have another person on hand
          Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
          You dig sucka?!

Comment

Originally posted by DustyMauve
            Yea it should, I had a roof rack on my old car for 3 years straight and the rubber fell back into place after a while.

It's really easy, trust me. you should be able to just lift it up with your finger. It will lift up from the inside (I think) where the arrows on the roof are.

As 94gti said, may be best to get an extra set of hands so you don't scratch the roof on the other side as you're trying to get it in.
            Jay

Comment

Working...
            X