VAG-COM Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VAG-COM Solution

I'm wondering what the most cost effective solution is for checking and clearing codes? There are Lots of companies that make cheap OBDII scanners, but they don't work with the ABS and air bag systems. What about a cheap Laptop and some software from Rosstech? I'm open to all ideas.

Re: VAG-COM Solution

i think you can check the codes with a genaric OBDII cable and a laptop, i dont think you can clear them or change other settings though. the ross-tech cable and software is the way to go, just a little pricey. (the rosstech software is free to download, the cable has a dongle in it that unlocks it). It will cost around 300$, plus you need to find a laptop (anything will work).
    Last edited by stefan; 08-30-2006, 01:32 PM.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

You can clear and check codes with the shareware but that is aobut it, no logging etc etc. Also note if you have a newer car 2004+ those cheap cables will not work for most systems as you car is CAN based. You can pick up a cable from sensolutions.com (also in calgary) so it will save you on shipping.
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Buy a cable and s/w from sensolutions.com. They are in Calgary. Cost me about $250. You can do the airbags with any VAG-Com cable and a laptop. The software is all licensed from Ross-Tech
        1989 Golf Diesel (2001 TDI powered before teh apocalypse)
        1992 Jetta TD
        2001 Jetta TDI
        1999 GTI resto
        1996 AEB GTI project

Comment

I bought from Sensolutions, it's good to support local business. The only problem is there's no upgrade path, if you plan on upgrading hardware buy from Rosstech. I was screwed somewhat when the new laptop didn't have a serial port.
          put.......put.......

.... ... .. .

Comment

mike, nick and I all pitched on the rosstech one awhile back...i think nick snatched it when he moved tho come to think of it
            REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
            -james

Comment

I used to have one but I have no idea what happened to it.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Whats a Ross Tech Cable Worth?

Comment

Kris I thought you lent yours to Bart at one time? I should point out that the ross-tech cables are made by sensolutions. Since they are an authorized dealer I think you can still upgrade by sending your cable to ross-tech but I am not 100% sure, just drop them an email and ask.
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Ah, yes. I bought the USB model right off the bat. They have one you can get with both USB and COM plugs, but I knew Serial ports were a thing of the past.
                    1989 Golf Diesel (2001 TDI powered before teh apocalypse)
                    1992 Jetta TD
                    2001 Jetta TDI
                    1999 GTI resto
                    1996 AEB GTI project

Comment

its too bad, cause there are other diagnostic programs out there that a vag-com cable will work with, but most wont work with usb.

i also got usb though.
                      Stefan
                      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by stefan
                        its too bad, cause there are other diagnostic programs out there that a vag-com cable will work with, but most wont work with usb.

i also got usb though.
                        What did you pay for the USB Cable?

Comment

i think is was what the site says.. 250USD (for the KEY-USB modle). and ya, if you get is locally, i'm sure you still get all the upgrade benefits. My old man has a VW too, so we split the cost.
                          Stefan
                          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by Satnam
                            I was screwed somewhat when the new laptop didn't have a serial port.
                            I have a Keyspan usb->serial cable for sale if you want. It's apparently one of the best/fastest ones available.

I used it seriously twice, and now the programmers I have don't require it, so I don't need it anymore.

$40cdn shipped to any of you guys. I think I paid $55 + tax a couple months ago.
                            Last edited by N'Syncro; 08-31-2006, 02:22 PM.
                            Chris

Comment

Rosstech WILL NOT upgrade cables/hardware that was not purchased through them initially. I tried to upgrade a cable bought from sensolutions through rosstech and was denied. Sensolutions would not upgrade, said it was old, but if it had been purchased from rosstech it was still elegible for an upgrade.

If you want to save on shipping or whatever it is do it, but you get no hardware support from rosstech.

Rosstech does support the software that I obtained through sensolutions though.

Satnam
                              put.......put.......

.... ... .. .

Comment

Working...
                              X