Tdi upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tdi upgrades

hey i know there is tonnes you can do say you had a firly large budget to get the most from bolt on for your tdi
    sigpic

Re: Tdi upgrades

i think chip and injectors are biggest 'bang for your buck'. I suppose after that a turbo upgrade and fmic would be a nice addition. seems like other additions are not that significant.
    Last edited by stefan; 08-29-2006, 08:11 AM.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Chip and injectors should alwasy be the first mods, a turbo upgrade can get expensive fast if you want it to last. I have heard all types of stories about the vnt-17 (bigger brother to the stock turbo) failing after 5k or so. There are some diesel tuners in the states that are working on turbo kits (as well as JP performance in vancouver). You best bet is to sign on to the TDIclub and read till your eyes bleed.
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

is barts a vnt-17?
        Stefan
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Swap in a larger TDI from europe.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by stefan
            is barts a vnt-17?
            yes.

after chip and injectors it starts getting pricey and the effects arent as good, but whatever... i think i am pretty much at the limit without doing something crazy that will blow up.
            2002 VW Golf GT TDI
            2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

theres always that 3.3L 8cyl TDI, think it would be a tight squeeze to jam it under the hood though.
              Stefan
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Honestly it might be cheaper to do just an engine swap on a stock TDI than to do injectors, turbo, intercooler, chip, etc etc? Would be more reliable too...

Then again I could be wrong, its not cheaper on the gas side... at one time I asked how much a w8 engine cost, it was something like 10 grand or more?
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

PD160 + chip = leave Bart in your smoke .. must be the fuel cooler it has as std.
                  EU Tuning
                  European Performance Products
                  www.eutuning.ca
                  slomas@upsolute.com

Comment

any chance we will see the bigger TDI's when they are re-introduced in NA?
                    Stefan
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I would be surprised if they bring them over.
                      A PD150 with chip can put out over 200hp and about 300+ tq so if you can afford it ship on in from europe with full wirring harness and ecu/cluster. Or phone up HPA and see how much it would be to buy one from them.
                      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

a pd150 with a lot of tuning can get up to 220ish hp, which is about the limit of it too. there isnt a lot more you can do to it... everything in it is already the uprated stuff.
                        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

so the next upgrades for the alh after inj and chip are a turbo and fmic
                          what about downpipe . its got 2.5 exaust and chip inj air box
                          but this guy wants more , anyone goofed with compessor housing swaps
                          sigpic

Comment

Downpipe won't do much. There have been a couple vnt15/17 hybrids around but I have heard nothing good about them. If you need to buy a vnt-17 for parts why not just use it and not mess with it.

Comment

As already stated.

Chip, injectors, FMIC, 11mm pump (or 12), VNT20 or larger, exhaust header (as from Passenger performance), water injection, fuel cooler as Boy Racer mentioned, port match intake manifold

Plus the regular stuff, to free up power, like lightened flywheel, lighter wheels, lighter car, knife-edged crank....

Some other stuff, if you're so inclined. Ceramic coated internals (more increasing longevity, but keeping heat in the air, rather than the head/block), upgraded oil cooler.

I like the PD150 idea. I may ship one over from Europe when my current swap is all done. Should be fun.

Oh yeah, if the guys' really crazy about performance, he can have some head work done to lower the compression. This will allow for more boost and revs, but when you get to this point, you're taking your TDI more over to the gasser side. Economy begins to diminish.
                              Last edited by dubCanuck1; 08-30-2006, 11:27 PM.
                              1989 Golf Diesel (2001 TDI powered before teh apocalypse)
                              1992 Jetta TD
                              2001 Jetta TDI
                              1999 GTI resto
                              1996 AEB GTI project

Comment

Working...
                              X