Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 GTI Headlights

Hi Guys,

Just trying to change the bulb in my buddies 2002 GTI and having some problems. Is there a trick to get the bulb(s) out? One of the ones from the driver's side headlight blew.
    Any help is appretiated.

Thanks!
    Got 5?

Re: 2002 GTI Headlights

none, just held in by a spring clip that catches a small hook, so push the clip and move it up (or down) and it will release, you need good finger dexterity though, because that all you can wiggle in there, unless you have girly hands.....take the battery cover off, that help alot.
    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

drivers side is a bit trickier, if you can 't get at it.. you can take the easy route and just take the bumper off and unbolt the headlight.
      Simon

Comment

Hey Guys, I'm the buddy BoraMK4 was talking about with the GTI.
        I'm still not sure on what to do... the bulb that's burnt is the far driver-side bulb which seems to be the toughest to get to.
        Aleks, I do have good finger dexterity! (I play guitar)... so I'm thinking I could do it, but I'm just not sure which clip you mean? Is it possible to show me a picture?

Comment

I don't have any pictures, but its easy, put your fingers behind the bulb, you'll feel a thin metal springy piece, and you push it toward the from of the car and either up or down, not sure which, and let go it will pop loose, thats all thats holding the bulb in....then you just fish the bulb out with 2 fingers carefully....opposite to go back in, just be very careful not to scratch the bulb surface on the lens, or touch the bulb surface going back in!
          2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
          2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
          2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

Have you actually gotten to the bulb yet? If not, then there's a few more steps.

Assuming small"ish" hands with your good finger dexterity.....

1) Remove the plastic cover at the top of the headlight by the battery. Two screws (phillips.......don't touch the torx ones).

2) There's a cover for the back of the headlight assembly with a bar/lever thing that holds it in place. It pulls (I usually gently pry with a flat screwdriver) to the left towards the rad. There's a bit of a clip at the top and bottom that kind of "stick". Just swing it out of the way and remove the back cover.

3) Take the plug off of the back of the bulb.

4) Here's where Alex (I think it was Alex) was talking about the spring to push in and either go up or down with it. The part you are pushing on is to the left side of the back of the bulb plugs. it's hinged on the right and once released should just swing out of the way.

5) Here's where the dexterity comes in.....grab the bulb by the plugs and remove.

6) Put the new bulb in (only holding by the plug end.....NEVER the glass (to state the obvious)). There is an alignment guide on the bulb so it only goes in one way.....rotate it if you have to until it's securly in place.

7) Put everything back together in the revers order.

If you've got larger hands, remove the battery surround (2 or 3 bolts, can't remember). I've done it both ways and can just get my hand in to do with with the battery cover on.

There may be pix and a DIY on Vortex.
            Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
            2016 .:R (sold)
            2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
            2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

Thanks guys!
              I'll print off your instructions and give it a shot when I get home tonight.

I can get to the bulb, to the point where I pull the plug off the bulb, but I just couldn't figure out how to actually pull out the bulb. I noticed the spring you guys are talking about (i think) but I just couldnt figure out what to do with it.

So you're saying I push the spring thing in (towards the headlight)? Thanks again.
              Last edited by timdog; 08-26-2006, 09:24 AM.

Comment

thanks guys, i got it.... when i finally did it i was like "damn that was easy, why couldnt i figure that out!?". i also changed the cabin filter at the same time since the car has 70k and i don't think it's ever been changed.

Comment

Working...
                X