Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil in a TDI

Heya,

I was just wondering how long it takes you other TDI owners from when you get an oil change until your oil is really dark again?? I had my oil changed about 200 km ago, and it looks pretty dark already. It seemed too soon to me, but then again this is only my second oil change, so I figured that it might just be a result of driving a diesel engine.

Thanks!

Re: Oil in a TDI

Diesels oil looks dirty very quickly you dont really need to worry I bet its black within the first 20km
    Chris :

2004 Jetta TDI Sport SOLD
    2010 Toyota Tundra CrewCab TRD

Comment

It is black almost immediatly, normal. Do not worry it is usually black as soon as you put it and run it up to check it.
      HTH
      Richard
      Last edited by Dubsport Inc; 08-14-2006, 08:38 PM.

Comment

yup yup. its all good.
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Also what kind of oil are you using? I've been using AMSoil for the past two changes, huge difference in how the engine runs\performs\mileage etc. European car formula, just about the only stuff you can get that meets the VW 500.5 cert, which is sweet. Oil change every 21,000km. I get my oil changed at the Lube stop or whatever its called right across from Southgate Chev.

Comment

its black the second it leaves the service bay!

hahaha funny thing is though. SCFC used to do these little sample oil trays of what oil should look like, and what your oil in your car looks like. TDi's should be omitted from that test, to save us from the harrassment!

Comment

Originally posted by Hardy_Boy
              its black the second it leaves the service bay!

hahaha funny thing is though. SCFC used to do these little sample oil trays of what oil should look like, and what your oil in your car looks like. TDi's should be omitted from that test, to save us from the harrassment!

Haha, no doubt!

That's awesome guys, I figured that was the case; it's just nice to confirm it. As for the type of oil I'm using, it's whatever they provide at the dealership. What can I say, I figured I'd get the first few a the dealership just to make sure I didn't accidentally grab the wrong type of oil. I've heard good things about the Amsoil though, and I think I'll give it a try next change; plus that lube time place is alot closer to both work and home. But 21000 km??? Wow, I thought the 16000 km recommended by vw was a long time.
              Last edited by Chikko; 08-15-2006, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Can anyone confirm what kind of oil the dealerships put in? I had heard they just use the same cheap non-synth as everywhere else...I asked for full synthetic the one-time I took it in and was advised by fifth ave that if I wanted full synth I needed to bring it in myself...

Comment

I don't know what kind they actually used for my change (SCFC), but they said synthetic. Oil is listed as part number G-052-167-A2. Not sure if that helps.... Oh yeah, it even says synthetic under the 'Complaint' section where they describe what I asked for.
                  Last edited by Chikko; 08-16-2006, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Dealers use castrol synthetic. I am sure they are not dumb enough to put anything but the right oil into a TDI as its oil ratings are very strict.
                    Name: Brent
                    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
                      Dealers use castrol synthetic. I am sure they are not dumb enough to put anything but the right oil into a TDI as its oil ratings are very strict.
                      ya Castrol Syntec...flip the bottle around and the first line is 'Developed with VW specifically for the TDI engine' or something similar...havent ever run it, bought some last time but then found mobil 1 delvac so i put that in instead
                      REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                      -james

Comment

ya Castrol Syntec...flip the bottle around and the first line is 'Developed with VW specifically for the TDI engine' or something similar...havent ever run it, bought some last time but then found mobil 1 delvac so i put that in instead
                        You can get it at Auto Value.
                        1989 Golf Diesel (2001 TDI powered before teh apocalypse)
                        1992 Jetta TD
                        2001 Jetta TDI
                        1999 GTI resto
                        1996 AEB GTI project

Comment

you can get it at auto value.. but its way cheaper at the dealer. (i was surprised...)
                          Stefan
                          -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                          -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                          X