My Experience @Northland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Experience @Northland

So I took my car in to Northland, after hearing some OK things about Dean the new Service Manager. I go to the UofC so Northland is very close to me all day. For those of you who don't know I had two problems with the car: it wasn't shifting in and out of first gear properly (getting stuck) and it takes a LONG time to start the car after sitting cold for a while.

NOTE: Edited by Kris a few hours after posting.

First, the car was there for two days, even though I had an appointment for 10AM sharp on the first day. This is a long time for me! I don't have any other way of getting around. I called at closing at the end of the first day and they told me they hadn't done anything yet - why couldn't I just have dropped it off in the evening then? Or they could have offered me a courtesy car or something?

Second, I got a call from them saying that they can't fix the cold start problem because its caused by my blow off valve. They also said that they couldn't warranty any engine problems because of this. Now I don't have a blow off valve, I have a Forge DV and it operates much like the stock one. Also, this cold start problem has been happening since winter, WAY before I made ANY mods to the car. The DV doesn't have anything to do with the car starting. I called Dean immediately and talked to him about this, and he was very understanding. He said that they would either fix the problem for me or call me back and talk to me about why or how if it wasn't possible. I even told him on the phone, if I need to pay to have it diagnosed off warranty, just call me with an estimate first. On the phone Dean was pretty reasonable. However, they never called me back. In fact, I had to call them to find out if the car was ready - they never called me at all the entire next day. So they ignored this problem entirely - when I went out to start my car after picking it up, it took me about 6 tries to start it in the dealership parking lot. LOL! The service invoice says "customer advised about problem". But I wasn't.

Third, the shifting problem. Edit: After a few hours driving it, this is pretty much okay so far. They adjusted the linkage, it feels a bit different but I just need to get used to it I think.But the clutch does still make the weird squeaking sound!

So in summary - I spent two days with no car, and when I picked it up they hadn't addressed one of my issues and didn't really come through as I expected from talking with Dean.They didn't even run it through the wash, which I thought was standard for dealerships servicing customer cars.

I guess I will have to make another appointment somewhere else. Either fifth ave, concept 1 or maybe Alpine autowerks... if I have to pay for an hour or two then fine.
    Last edited by Kor; 06-17-2003, 11:38 PM.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

quick question this 'dean' guy did you meet him? is he a little short guy? if so he used to be the service manager at NW acura when i worked there.. maybe he'll be nice to me when i go in..

Comment

That sux dude... sorry to hear about that. I know that sh1t drives me crazy. I bought my car (and my last car) at SouthCentre and have relatively good luck with them... for all it's worth. Hope you get everything worked out soon.
      billip
      2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

**** sry to hear man, hope u get all fixed soon
        Art || Tornado Red Jetta GLI

Comment

Northland has been decent to me every time I've gone in - tho I've almost always hung around and talked with the techs and advisors. That said, if your situation had happened to me I'd be furious. I can't remember details but the cold start problem has been discussed before and it's not DV related.

Khyron
          Geoff
          Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

that that sucks hopefully they will be nice. i should get the name of those two techs mike mentioned to me that dont' care about mods..

ps.. khyron.. your blue lighting thing on vortex looks great..

Comment

Okay I was a bit emotional when I made my original post. Why? Well, I was angry, mostly because it was embarassing as hell sitting in the Northland parking lot just after being "serviced" and cranking on my key for 3 minutes trying to get it started.

After "breaking in" the car tonight on a little drive, I have to say that the shifting feels okay. Yeah, its a bit different than its been since I bought the car, which is why it threw me. But it doesn't feel broken any more, just will take me a bit to get used to the different feel.

So Northland did adjust my shift linkage as they said they would. However, I did kind of get the run-around on the phone about my mods and about my cold-start problem. Honestly, my car isn't really modded for performance at all, it shouldn't be affecting my service there. Moreover its obvious from my car that I am an enthusiastic VW driver, I wouldn't mind getting the same courtesy as other customers, such as updates on the car's progress, the wash, and so forth.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

i would just keep going back over and over and over again.
                2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Why give them another chance? They have no incentive to do a better job. Also its pretty clear that what they tell me on the phone or in person won't reflect what they are actually going to do in the shop, right? Because if it did, I would have gotten another call from them explaining how exactly my DV keeps my car from starting properly, or what else it is that prevents them from finding the problem, and why its not under warranty. Or at the very least they could have called and said "look, its going to cost you $200 to find this problem and fix it, is that ok?" That would be MUCH better than just having me pick up the car to find out that its not fixed and I have no good reason why.

I could go back and get assurances, then they keep my car for another two, three days and the problem is still there. Why not just go somewhere else? Fifth ave maybe has an incentive to help me. If I explain how Northland couldn't or wouldn't help me, maybe the folks at Fifth ave will see that they can make me a satisfied customer who will come back time and time again. And I would too.
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

they never call me back either. but going to dealership makes vw pay, instead of you if you go to concept1.
                    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

If you take it back, make a scene. If you make a scene around other customers.... they'll be more likely to deal with it
                      Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

Comment

DAMN!

Im sorry to hear what happend Kris.

I just looked at my his name, its Dean Anderson. I guess he is quite the liar. He mentioned that I would have no problems if I started modifications on my car. Seems to me he was just trying to save face during the moment.

Im disgusted Northland VW would try to pull a low ball move like that.... I will definitely move my servicing over to 5th Ave now.

QuA
                        Last edited by QuA; 06-18-2003, 01:25 AM.
                        2008 BMW 135i | M Package | JB3 | DCI | BMW Performance Exhaust

Comment

In situations like this, I think it might be best just to go to Concept 1. No dealerships are gonna do us any favors if we have any mods. I'm having some noise issues coming from my front left corner and I'm going into C1 tomorrow. I've heard enough dealership ******** for one lifetime.
                          Yuval
                          2008 Volvo C30 T5

Comment

That totally sux man. I guess dealers will be dealers and tell you what you want to hear when they feel that they don't have to deal with anything. However, when it comes time to actually give service (especially warranty related work), that's when it really shows how they view their customers.

Going to C1 might be an alternative, but why pay if you can possibly get work done for free under warranty (if the dealers don't screw you around that is.)?

I really hope when Peter sends this thread over to Northland VW and VWoA that they do take notice and do something to improve service for enthusiasts. Brand loyalty is only found in the enthusiast and if you mess that up, then it can only hurt the dealers' (and manufacturers') reputation and more importantly their bottom line.

I hope you get things figured out.
                            Neil
                            '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

With mass problems with Window regulators and coilpacks I would expect ALL dealerships to be more understanding and at least try to be more helpful so customers wouldnt start hating them. With Northland trying to blame it all on DV thats pathetic. Im still upset with them after a good nights sleep.

QuA
                              2008 BMW 135i | M Package | JB3 | DCI | BMW Performance Exhaust

Comment

Working...
                              X