First Gear Grind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Gear Grind

Every so often when I put my car into first gear, it ginds, what would cause this? Do I need to change my transmission fluid? Clutch?

Re: First Gear Grind

Could be either. Mine was slightly grinding or being unsmooth when i shift, found out i need a new clutch. goes in tomorrow :(
    sigpic

Comment

Are you putting it in first while the car is moving?
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I say clutch. I've seen that alot. Your dual mass flywheel and clutch have seen better days..
        Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
        You dig sucka?!

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
          Are you putting it in first while the car is moving?
          It happens when I'm at a full stop, like when a light turnes green. Whenever you put your car into gear, there is the uasial resistance. Sometimes there is the resistance and it engauges smooth as uasial, othertimes there in no resistance and it goes in with a bit of a grind, always first gear, never reverse.

Comment

Dave maybe onto something then, sounds crappy either way.
            Name: Brent
            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Does the clutch not disengauge properly? Does the trans fluid ever need to be changed?

Comment

I just got my tranny fluid done and not my clutch. Problem fixed!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X