Pacific Northwest Leavenworth Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacific Northwest Leavenworth Review

For all of you that chose not to come......oh boy did you ever miss out.

Leavenworth3000 stands for the annual trip to Leavenworth put on by Evolution Motorsports. It is basically 3000 km's round trip from Calgary, done in 3 days.

This year was not the best year I have had on it............but thats not to say it was bad. It is of course hard to live up to last years epic trek where unless you pay $10,000+, drive a $300,000+ car, and put stickers saying players run or gumball all over it, you won't have this much fun.

Evolution Motorsport's drive to Leavenworth has become one of the premiere places to go for VW/Audi fun. It is a drive...not a show, however almost as many people show up for this drive as do to Waterwagens the regional VW/Audi car show. It is that big. Close to 350 cars showed up this year, which is a good turnout considering Dub Wars fell on the same weekend and I know alone from the VWDOV.ca crew that 10 cars bailed out just to go to DubWars.

How the drive works for those that don't know is everyone from the region heads to Evolution Motorsports in Kirkland just outside of Seattle. There everyone hangs out, has a drivers meeting and then departs for Leavenworth, a small german village nestled just in the coastal mountain about an hour away. Between Evolution and Leavenworth is some of the best driving roads. Brand new valley and mountain roads, newly paved and lined. About 3/4 of the way there is a mountain pass and at the top everyone stops for more photos.

Once at Leavenworth everyone enjoys what the small german town has to offer before leaving on their own accord back to where they came from.

Once again this year I made the trip from Calgary to Leavenworth for this epic event. I go from Calgary to Vancouver, where I meet up with the VWDOV.ca crew and head down. Last year saw gumball antics resulting in not one but two instances where we had to hide from the cops, 1 police roadblock, 2 tickets handed out, an hour detour in the woods, and a police helicopter. It had a lot to live up to this year.

TripleG and a passenger decided to join me in their jetta this year to make the trip. We left on the Friday morning at 4am to head for Vancouver where we would stay the night. Leaving early allows us free and open roads through the parks and no traffic until about Salmon Arm. The drive was just how I liked it....uneventful, except for the 10 cops we saw aggressivly ticketing. One cop actually followed us on the coquihala for 30 minutes with his radar on sitting right off graham's bumper. Thank god for the Valentine1 otherwise we would have definetly gotten a ticket somewhere.

We crashed the night at a friends castle in West Van before heading out the Saturday morning to meet the guys for the cruise. UofC obviously doesn't teach proper reading skills as I read 8:30 was the meeting time, when it was actually 7:30am. So 1 hour behind we attempted to play catch up, but the border line-ups had another idea. We still had an awesome blast down the I-5 and saw tons of dubbers and others heading down to Evolution.

We arrived in Evolution a little later than would have liked and because of that were at the back of the line. They line the cars in there so when it comes time to leave it is done in an orderly fashion. Spent about an hour looking around and escaping the heat. Some very nice cars there including a 996 Ruf Turbo fresh back from the recent 2006 Players Run.

After a brief drivers meeting we loaded up and headed out.

See pics below....another post to follow shortly.
    All photos taken by Andrew Holliday from the DOV. Big thanks to him for great shots.

These are from the drive down:

Last edited by RONDAL; 07-12-2006, 03:16 PM.
    Team Highschool
    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Re: Pacific Northwest Leavenworth Review

Looks like a blast - did you drive by yourself or have a co-pilot as well?

Khyron
    Geoff
    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

i drove to van and back by myself but i had a copilot. Washington state has a law that if you are caught doing over 100mph its automatic do not pass go do not collect $200 go straight to jail. So we always make sure everyone going on our cruises and drives with us takes a co-driver just in case.
      Team Highschool

Comment

So we left Evolution in one giant convoy, but the two traffic lights between evolution and the interstate pose giant traffic issues when 350 cars just show up out of nowhere. Because we were stuck at the very back I decided to create a short cut and snuck out of there, made a left where we should have made a right, and then doubled back passing a hell of a lot of the line-up.

Once on the road it was balls to the walls. I dont think we passed a VW/Audi car actually doing the limit on the highway. A short turnoff later we were on the backroads.

Evolution however made one mistake this year and didn't double check for other regional events. A local county fair presented a giant traffic jam on the single road in and out of where we needed to go. A little hour long sit in the traffic working on my trucker tan however and we were on the road again.

I passed a fellow DOV'er stopped for cherries and he joined us on our journey. By this time the roads were clear and we had nothing but a few cars in front of us. TripleG, Dejan and myself enjoyed a rocket ride up the valley on the twisties. I was going as hard as I could and still dejan's mk4 1.8T with Stg3+ was right on my ass. Had a couple of 200+ moments, but for the most part it was just good hard driving. We hit the double lane pass and opened it up with a Mk5 GTi and 2 other cars. Great run up the pass, nice steep sections with solid 180 degree turns. As you climb due to the heat you definetly feel the cars getting heatsoaked. My oil temps hit 130+ and under the hood was around 60 degrees down near the lower bumper. Was easily 90 right by the manifold.

What we do is stop at the top to let the cars cool off and head off again before those 300+ cars all leave for the town and there is no parking. Graham due to the fact he is running a BOV and not a DV in his jetta was running rich the whole way up the pass at WOT. When he came to idle at the top the unburnt gas ignited in his tailpipe and caused a nice 3' flame to billow from his exhaust for a good 20 seconds. We all thought the car was on fire.

As soon as the cars had cooled enough we were back on our way down the other side again going pretty hard. My 11.3" brakes definetly were getting a work out on a few of the sections.

photos courtesy of Andrew Holliday and RPI
        Team Highschool

Comment

we go for this:

Team Highschool

Comment

saw the two of you heading out friday morning as we were coming back from BC, instantly thought to myslef - oh sh*t! that's what I wanted to hit this weekend...oh well, I swear I will go next year. glad to hear a good time was had...

Comment

Looks like a blast, great pics and thread, don't think the Smart could keep up

Love that RPI MKV GTI, hot!!!
              Blair
              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

That German Village concept is really interesting. Looks like a nice place.

Comment

Was I very fun cruise!

The trip up to stevens pass I was with a Audi TT and S4 having fun.

Would have like to see this flame though
                  Graeme

2015 S4
                  2018 Monster 1200S

Comment

I doubt you would....i thought the car was going to go up. It would have sucked if that had travelled back through the exhaust a little ways and caught some oil or somthing.

you need a DV man....please please please listen to me and do it.
                    Team Highschool

Comment

honestly i dont know how else to say it nicely, Calgary drives SUCK. especially when you compare them to what is out on the coast. We simply do not have the roads, or drivers willing to take part in somthing like this.

It is hands down the most fun I have ever had in a car.....and my backseats aren't exactly clean hahahaha
                      Team Highschool

Comment

well our cruises we take out to bragg creek and banff are always a blast so i'm happy enough there

anyways the pics look nice.. some sweet audis in the mix

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL
                          I doubt you would....i thought the car was going to go up. It would have sucked if that had travelled back through the exhaust a little ways and caught some oil or somthing.

you need a DV man....please please please listen to me and do it.
                          Ill try to re route my BOV (basically a diverter valve) if it makes you happy
                          Graeme

2015 S4
                          2018 Monster 1200S

Comment

Working...
                          X