Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner Nut - Front Struts

Hey guys...
    How do I go about getting the inner strut nut (top, on the bump stop) to the proper torque spec? If I attach my torque wrench, there's no way to access with an allen wrench, so of course, the piston spins and I can't get the proper torque. Any suggestions? Should I just hit it with the electric impact?
    '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
    --DUBS--

Re: Inner Nut - Front Struts

Originally posted by dubs_17
    Hey guys...
    How do I go about getting the inner strut nut (top, on the bump stop) to the proper torque spec? If I attach my torque wrench, there's no way to access with an allen wrench, so of course, the piston spins and I can't get the proper torque. Any suggestions? Should I just hit it with the electric impact?
    There's a special tool for that..

Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
    You dig sucka?!

Comment

Aw crap...I've got the fronts back in. I just did the inner nut reasonably tight with the impact (trying not to break the bearing) and impacted the outer nut as well. I will go to VW tomorrow and get them to torque the outer nuts properly. Is this a safe idea, or should I wait and get that tool (where?) and re-do the fronts? Another Q...is it normal for the black plastic strut tower caps to not fit over the outer nut with the H&R Cup Kit?
      Last edited by dubs_17; 07-09-2006, 12:27 PM.
      '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
      --DUBS--

Comment

Originally posted by dubs_17
        Aw crap...I've got the fronts back in. I just did the inner nut reasonably tight with the impact (trying not to break the bearing) and impacted the outer nut as well. I will go to VW tomorrow and get them to torque the outer nuts properly. Is this a safe idea, or should I wait and get that tool (where?) and re-do the fronts? Another Q...is it normal for the black plastic strut tower caps to not fit over the outer nut with the H&R Cup Kit?

It's my understanding not to use an impact cause it could damage some bearing (or something along those lines). I did this install on an mkiv 6 years ago, and I remember reading something like that.
        2004 Nissan Murano

2006 BMW 330i, 6 -speed, Sparkling Graphite, Sport package, Premium package

Comment

So...what DID you use, Vol? I've had to put this whole install on hold, 'cause I want to do it right; just waiting to find out the best solution.
          '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
          --DUBS--

Comment

I read the step by step off the vwvortex and I had the bentley manual and did exactly as illustrated. I know thats useless to you, but check the DIY on the vortex.
            2004 Nissan Murano

2006 BMW 330i, 6 -speed, Sparkling Graphite, Sport package, Premium package

Comment

That's actually what I've been following, but they didn't address this specific problem at all. It sounded like they didn't use a torque wrench...just an offset flat wrench. I'm going to Acklands tomorrow to see what I can come up with.
              '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
              --DUBS--

Comment

Thank God, I figured it out...had to modify a spark plug socket and buy an allen key socket; worked like a charm! Suspension is almost done...started raining tonight, so only the fronts are done right now; talk about rake - gotta love it!
                Last edited by dubs_17; 07-10-2006, 10:35 PM.
                '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
                --DUBS--

Comment

rears take like an hour max...get er done yo.

Comment

Can't wait to see it. You'll now be able to do mine for me in 2 hours total, right?
                    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...nip/NewSig.jpg

Comment

Ah Devo...such faith in me. I'm pooped after getting that install done; of course I had to pick the hottest days possible to do it too. Glad it's done. That maiden voyage is always a great feeling; kinda like the first time I went for a rip after getting UpSolute'd. Good news too...only two cuts on my hand through the whole install - lol.
                      Last edited by dubs_17; 07-11-2006, 10:42 PM.
                      '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
                      --DUBS--

Comment

Working...
                      X