Wheel Bolt Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Bolt Question

I've got a quick question about wheel bolts... I got a nail threw my summer tire tonight, and it's pretty much flat (slow leak). It has aftermarket conical shaped bolts holding it on, and I left my regular VW bolts at my friends house way down in the south where I store my winters. Can I use my aftermarket bolts to hold on my spare so I can drive to get the summer fixed? I just don't want my wheel to fall off!

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm kinda dumb sometimes.

Thanks!
    billip
    2013 Audi RS 5

Re: Wheel Bolt Question

It would probably make it, but I wouldn't do it. Instead of the stress being spread out, it's concentrated in the smaller contact area. You could very well sheer your bolts right off and lose the wheel entirely. Even if you don't, you could create stress fractures.

Get a ride down to get your bolts, and take comfort in the fact that you won't forget them next time (I did the exact same thing last year).

Khyron
    Geoff
    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

No bag of bolts with spare? Mine does in the tool kit.
      Jeff
      Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
      Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Comment

If you put your spare on with the wrong bolts, the main concern is that they may loosen off while driving. If you need to do it to limp to a tire shop and get your tire fixed, just be careful and pay attention to whether or not it feels like they are backing off, and don't fly on the deerfoot to get there, otherwise the best is obviously getting the correct bolts. Keep 5 in your spare compartment for whenever you need your spare...
        sigpic
        Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire
        Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
        Calgary Alberta, T2E6L5
        888.769.1772 Toll Free
        403.769.1771 tel
        403.769.1773 fax
        bob@urbanexp.ca

Comment

Thanks for your input guys. I'll definitely have to go and pick up my bolts when I get this fixed so this doesn't happen again!
          billip
          2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

I did the exact same thing. I now keep 5 standard bolts in my glovebox just in case.

Present
            2010 Audi A4 S-Line
            2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
            2003 VW Jetta GLI
            1992 VW Jetta GL
            1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Working...
            X