Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Numbers - Suspension

Hey guys...
    Can someone out there kindly list the torque specs for installing suspension, as I plan to attempt the install of my H&R Cup Kit this weekend? Someone out there has to have a Bentley manual...I don't have enough time before the weekend to get one for myself, so if someone could do me this small favor, that'd be great.
    Last edited by dubs_17; 07-03-2006, 09:59 PM.
    '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
    --DUBS--

Re: Torque Numbers - Suspension

top nut on front struts = 60nm

Self-locking nut - front struts
    60 Nm plus an additional 1 / 4 turn
    Never less than 1/4 turn
    Turning angle tolerance 90 to 120
    Always replace !

top bolts on rear shocks = 30nm + 1/4 turn (always replace)

lower nut/bolt on rear = 40nm +1/4 turn (always replace)
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Do I definitely HAVE to replace all the nuts/bolts you mentioned? I've heard that before, but I've also heard otherwise...a little confused on the verdict.
      '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
      --DUBS--

Comment

I have never heard of a stretch nut before but they may have stress cracks. I didn't replace mine when I did it but next time I will be replacing all the bolts too. Stretch bolts can break when reused use to the fact they are stressed the first time they are torqued up, the second time takes them to braking point.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

the big ones in the front on mine were rust-damaged... missing thread
          Stefan
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

So...I'm a little confused...which bolts/nuts should I replace in the front? Does anyone have the part numbers for all the bolts I need to replace?
            '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
            --DUBS--

Comment

the lower bolt & nut that hold the base of the front strut in place is the one that was rusted on my car, and the only ones I replaced. you SHOULD replace all the nuts and bolts, but thats your call.
              Stefan
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I took a trip up to the VW stealership today, and they had all the bolts/nuts in stock, except for the front self-locking nut and the lower bolt for the rear. They then told me that none of the bolts/nuts need to be replaced. I ended up buying nothing, but I thought about it and may go back tomorrow to buy whatever bolts they have in stock and leave it at that...how's that for compromise?
                '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
                --DUBS--

Comment

Oh...can you briefly explain "turning angle tolerance"? Thanks.
                  '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
                  --DUBS--

Comment

you torque the bolt to the 60NM, then add an extra 90 degree turn to stretch the bolt (at this point you are deforming the bolt). 90 degree turn gives you optimal stretch, but over 120 degrees it too much stress on the bolt. so the tolerence in 90 to 120 degrees. so i guess, if thats the case, if you are re using bolts, dont quite give the 90 degree turn (because it would have been stretched 90 degrees, adding another 90 would stretch it out of tollerence).
                    Stefan
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Big problem here...got my driver's side strut assembly out, but I can't get the top nut off to remove the dust boot and other goodies I need to 'recycle'. Tried the electric impact, but the whole dust boot and such rotates with the impact, so the nut won't loosen. Any suggestions??
                      '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
                      --DUBS--

Comment

Working...
                      X