Waste Gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waste Gate

Can some one explain to me what a waste gate is? When you need one? and what exactly there purpose is. thanks.
    sigpic

Re: Waste Gate

A waste gate controls the turbo. It allows the exhaust gas to bypass the turbine as pressure rises to control the boost pressure in the system. Pretty basic expanation. I think all turbos should have one in some shape or form.

There are internal and external waste gates with pros and cons for each. Internal means it is part of the turbo assembly. External is remotely mounted from the turbo. The advantage of this is the reduced back pressure on the exhaust coming from the waste gate by routing the exhaust further along the system or separately from the main system, which provides for better control (if I recall correctly).
    Jeff
    Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Comment

So when u would u need a aftermarket waste gate? When u increase your boost?
      sigpic

Comment

If you are talking about the original turbo in a 1.8T, I don't know anything about that setup, but small increases in boost should be fine with the original equipment.

I think you would only need to change the wastegate if you change the turbo.
        Jeff
        Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
        Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Comment

Working...
        X