Possible Surging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Surging?

Well I was doing some testing with the good old car and noticed when I switch from 2nd - 3rd it hesitates a little. Only when I go a little slow.

It might be normal for Tiptronic but it will stutter a little between 2-3k RPM and a little around 4k RPM. Feels like the car is about to accelerate and then hesitates until the RPM's climb and then goes.

QuA
    2008 BMW 135i | M Package | JB3 | DCI | BMW Performance Exhaust

Down shift then give more gas.
    “If you think your car is under control, you’re going slow.”

Comment

I'm not chipped yet so this is all second hand:

I would guess thats not surging. From what I have read, surging occurs when you are at wide-open throttle during your peak torque range - on our cars this is the range between about 3000 and 4000 rpms. It would feel something like rapidly letting off the gas pedal, then stepping on it, then letting it off, stepping on it, over and over. So kind of a "surge" feeling. Also from what I have been told it is fairly unmistakable. So if you aren't sure, its probably not surging.

This "heasitation" doesn't really fit the description. I haven't driven a tip so I don't really know what it feels like, but I am also guessing that your RPMs might just be dipping a bit low? This may be normal for a tip...
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

QuA,

I get the same thing. It only happens once in a while, but always when I give moderate gas and after a shift from 2-3. The rpms start around 2k and climb normally to just under 3k. That's when the engine loses power. Just after 3k power returns full on. It almost seems like when I step on the gas after shifting, the turbo has enough pressure to start 2 gear with good power, but because I let off the gas to shift gears, the turbo slows down and loses boost. I think its turbo lag b/c I started 2nd gear near the rpm when the turbo is supposed start spooling.

Like I said, this only happens once in a blue moon, but the conditions seem to be consistent when it does happen.

Does this theory hold water?
        Neil
        '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

I am bone stock, with only 3k kms on my vehicle.
          Neil

mods to my car

Comment

I don't think I can go back to a NA car. Turbos are way too much fun.
            Neil

mods to my car

Comment

I agree with you Trip! I will never go back, driving a turbo is just such a fun feeling.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
                I call it... "hand-of-god" -- at least that's the feeling when you come for a ride with me in MY car -- and Qua can vouch for that! lol

Peter
                have you yet to break 15 seconds in the 1/4mile in your hand of god ride? :mrlaugh:
                Simon

Comment

then dont call it the hand of god if it gets 15 second 1/4miles. sure 1/4mile isn't everything, but its a good measure.
                  Simon

Comment

DBW sometimes very strange.

I think Peter is appreciating what his car can do. I respect the people that like the things they own. A blind dude can do 1/4mile too. I cannot see what the interesting part of 1/4mile is. The chassis tuning and engine output will be more important. So does driver’s skills.
                    “If you think your car is under control, you’re going slow.”

Comment

Peter my car is full of suprises. I wish I would've gotten standard =( .... Im putting on the 2.5" Brullen DP with my stock exhaust. I wont be getting a catback for a while.... =(

I totally need a boost gauge.... and a DVD screen too !! =P .... and yes you better hold on to dear mercy when peter is driving and taking corners.... I almost started crying!

QuA
                      2008 BMW 135i | M Package | JB3 | DCI | BMW Performance Exhaust

Comment

Working...
                      X