Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDI boost valve

Hey all,
    I installed a boost valve in my jetta tonight (the one from boostvalve.com). Everything went smooth, and the 28-29psi spikes are gone. Im not sure what i should be looking for to fine tune it though, as far as where it should peak. I have it peaking at about 22psi, and maintaining about 20 psi under load at the moment. I get a tiny bit of lag between when the valve opens, and when stable boost is reached (sounds like turbo changes gears... for lack of better way to describe it). Anyway, any advise from the tdi crew would be great.

go flames go!
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Re: TDI boost valve

with your stock vnt15 turbo?
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

yep.
      Stefan
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Why did you get that one instead of a Dawes device, http://www.3barracing.com/product_8.htm?

Anyway, it is not a simple question. What mods do you have? How much risk of losing the turbo are you willing to take? Are you prepared to adjust it down when you go to higher altitudes?

The general feeling is 18 psi continuous at sea level. http://tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-6.html

Do not operate the standard turbocharger at more than 18 psi boost pressure at sea level. (This must be de-rated in proportion to barometric pressure at higher altitudes.) Do not operate an engine with a stock compression ratio at higher than 18 psi boost pressure under any circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Red90
          Why did you get that one instead of a Dawes device,
          whats the difference? look nearly identical...

Car is running Upsolute, and .205 injectors.

**only difference i could find was that boostvalve.com one is a bit easier to adjust with the tubing connected
          Last edited by stefan; 04-26-2006, 03:09 PM.
          Stefan
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

the 18psi part is right, not the compression, its ok up to 22 with stock compression.

i give your turbo a couple of weeks [from experience]
            Last edited by bart; 04-26-2006, 11:38 AM.
            2002 VW Golf GT TDI
            2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

yeah, im glad i picked up the gauge at least, otherwise i would never have noticed.
              Stefan
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

well, played a bit. it spikes at about 20psi and is steady at a little under 18psi now.
                Stefan
                -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

why does it spike all the time?? seems that you should be able to reach a good boost psi and stay there, but I sure cant. Maybe a sticky waste gate actuator or something? If i try and set it up so i dont get a spike over 18 psi, then i get stable boost at about 14psi. i would like to get stable boost higher without the spikes all the time. it seems to bounce around too much.
                  Stefan
                  -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Mine still spikes quite a bit I haven't played with it alot over the last while. I think I hit 24ish max.
                    Name: Brent
                    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

and what does is stabalize at? i have to force it down with the boost valve to get 18psi. the car wants to go at 20psi.

what is an acceptable spike? maybe im being to fussy
                      Last edited by stefan; 04-26-2006, 08:21 PM.
                      Stefan
                      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I believe it stays at about 16ish, I want to limit my spikes to 20-22 would be ideal.
                        Name: Brent
                        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
                        X