Oil Help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Help!!!!

I have a 2002 gti 1.8t and the owners manual says oil of 5w-40 is recammneded or 5w-30. As i did an oil change today i accidently put a 5w-50 in my car! should i be worried? should i rechange for the right stuff? or will it be fine? Fast advice please!!
    sigpic

Re: Oil Help!!!!

You should get the right oil in the first place. Change out the not-flow-great 50 weight oil + filter. Yea, it's bad for your turbocharger.

Comment

Was it 5/50 or 15/50? 5/50 will be a bit thicker at really high temps, which I don't think will harm anything (as opposed to being too thin). I would leave it and just use 5/40 next change.

Khyron
      Geoff
      Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Well oviously i dident mean to put this oil in. my mistake. im just worried it will harm anything. its 5w-50. will cut down my performace or anything like that?
        sigpic

Comment

5/50 is fine, some VW dealers use it. I would use it before 0/40 personally.

5/50: Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; Ford WSS-M2C931-A and the engine protection requirements of GM 4718M, ILSAC GF-4 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.
          Although I'm no mech, so it's ultimately up to you. I think Ryan went through this awhile back - dealer put in 5/50 but I don't remember what came of it. It certainly won't blow up your engine.

Khyron
          Last edited by Khyron; 04-23-2006, 09:22 AM.
          Geoff

Comment

Make sure you use synthetic. 1.8t's have a tendancy to sludge up with mineral oil, and that my friend is bad news for your engine and turbo.
            Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
            You dig sucka?!

Comment

yes it is 5w-50 castrol syntec. i was thinking maybe its best if i swap it out for 5w40.
              sigpic

Comment

If you check Castrols site, they list 5/50 as a suitable oil for the 1.8, along with 5/40. Vortexers have been using it for years, but if you want to dump 40+ bucks, so be it.

Khyron
                Geoff

Comment

Ryan had that put in his car by accident, they offered to change it but he was going ot park the car soon anyways. There was no problem with leaving it in there.
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Alright, i will probably leave it in. thanks guys!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X