k&N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k&N

I think i have decided to keep my stock air box on my gti. Althought i like the sounds of the CAI it seems more power with the stock box. But i do need to replace my filter, and susjestions, since im not getting cai i will go all out on a filter lol. K&N the best route? any susjestions or ideas would be great.
    sigpic

Re: k&N

go with the K&N, best filter out there, im about to do the same exact thing.

Comment

Stock filter for best protection, ITG Foam drop in for most power. K&N is snake oil with the 1.8T, and not just because of possible maf damage.

Khyron
      Geoff
      Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Khyron - can you elaborate on the K&N / 1.8T combo? I'm running a Neuspeed CAI with K&N cone and have always wondered about possible ill effects (Moreso lately as I keep throwing a CEL sporadically).
        2008 Audi RS4
        2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

where do i find a ITG foam drop in? better performance then the K&N excluding the maf problem? will i have any noticable differnce going from a stock paper filter to the ITG foam?
          sigpic

Comment

I have put on the neuspeed CAI on my 2.0L and I had to replace my MAF sensor in about 3 months that was 4 years ago never any problems since. All tho with my system the engine got considerbly louder in the interior. I dont think it was worth the $$$$. Next car i get I will just replace the filter to a K&N and leave all the intak pluming alone.

Comment

Personally, I like the extra "warbly" sound I get with the CAI. Although sometimes the constant "pssshing" when I shift gets old.

Still curious to know what damage the CAI / K&N combo does to the car other than wreaking havoc with the MAF. And what happens when a MAF has gone haywire?
              2008 Audi RS4
              2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

ESP light will go on if maf is going

Comment

If the K&N is over-oiled it mucks up the MAF and then you have to hopefully just clean it, but most often replace it. When you look at companies like Carbonio/APR they use non-oiled filters because of this. ITG is a non-oiled, as are the Pipercross that Carbonio uses.

Comment

I bought my ITG drop-in from PGperforance in BC. Check the vortex for "airbox mod". ITG outperforms all of the other filters.
                    Tint sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
                      Stock filter for best protection, ITG Foam drop in for most power. K&N is snake oil with the 1.8T, and not just because of possible maf damage.

Khyron

I agree 100%... I was a big K&N filter user until i was at the sema in show in Vegas one year and got talking to the k&n guys. What he told me was that where i live i should be running the filter with their oil soaked foam covers because we basically live in the "dessert" If we were in a place like Vancouver it would be ok to run just a normal k&n. Sure it alows more air through BUT also more dirt. Their slogan "the dirtier it get the better it works" is true because the more dirt ON the filter the better it filters. He told me the military runs their filters but always uses the oil soaked foam covers. Think about a dirt bike, made to run in dirt/sand they have oil soaked foam filters which provide the best protection but not the best for modern cars with hotwire mass air flow sensors. Anyway i came home and put all stock filters back in my cars and have been running stock since. As a Automotive tech i have seen lots of cars with k&n's some have dirty intakes (dust) and some don't. Remeber just because k&N has a HUGE advertising budget dosen't mean it is the best.

Comment

This is kind of on the same topic. In the process of removing my stock airbox for the CAI, I seemed to break the lower ducting because of those damn plastic clips.

If I was looking to reinstall the stock intake, what are my options? Get the part from the dealership? Leave it out? Maybe someone has one they'd be willing to sell?

Any help would be appreciated.
                        Road Runner
                        Le Mans Blue BMW 135i- M sport Package

Comment

those parts are riveted on and you can't really get them back on to my knowledge well unless you can plastic rivet again

Comment

Gumby pretty much summed it up - the K&N allows larger particle sizes past, which causes long term engine damage. The way you're supposed to prevent that is to use a lot of oil, but that wrecks the MAF. There were some really interesting comparisons done with the different filters on vortex 1.8T forum before it went to ****, but I don't have links. I read a lot about it when deciding what to do with my ram air hose upgrade.

The ITG drop in let's even bigger particles through, but it doesn't need oil if I remember rightly (I don't have one). I was going to buy one and just use it for races etc but meh, not worth the hassle to me.

Stock airbox and filter were one of the things VW designed correctly. Gain 2-3 hp by increasing engine damage? Not me. I do remove the sand foam insert though.

Khyron
                            Geoff
                            Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

SO still where would i find a ITG foam filter? any places in calgary sell them?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X