Pacific Coast Highway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacific Coast Highway

Has anyone ever taken a road trip along the pacific coast highway? I'm thinking of planning a trip down the coast, not sure how far I'd go down, probably until I get tired of driving.

Just curious if anyone has any experience doing it.. my number one concern is the availiblity of Diesel fuel along the way, I'm not sure if little american towns have diesel at the gas stations. Any info would be great, thanks.
    2007 BMW 328XI

Re: Pacific Coast Highway

Originally posted by nonick
    Has anyone ever taken a road trip along the pacific coast highway? I'm thinking of planning a trip down the coast, not sure how far I'd go down, probably until I get tired of driving.

Just curious if anyone has any experience doing it.. my number one concern is the availiblity of Diesel fuel along the way, I'm not sure if little american towns have diesel at the gas stations. Any info would be great, thanks.
    Yup, did it several times on trips to SoCal. Most recently, from LA to San Fran for Christmas. It's one of the most beautiful drives you could do, and if you head south on it long enough, you'll literally end up at the Santa Monica pier. It's pretty amazing. Not sure about diesel availability though, but the PCH is such a well established and travelled route, that I don't think it would be an issue. There's certainly no shortage of gas stations that I noticed. The "little Amercan" towns along the way are really well equipped. But perhaps you could find more info on amenities along the way from CAA or AAA?

Here's some photos I took at Pismo Beach right off the PCH...

Derick

Comment

Thanks for the info, and the pictures. That makes me want to do it more.. To be honest I only call them little american towns because I'm really not sure whats along the highway.

Tentivly I'm planning on starting much further north, probably starting in Portland, then heading west to the 101 (which I think is the start of the PCH?). Then going as far south as Eureka, CA (or however long time allows). Then taking the quick way back. Probably 10-12 days I'd assume.
      2007 BMW 328XI

Comment

Hell yeah, we went from here to Vancouver, then all the way down to Los Angeles. That is hands down the best drive EVER! Will definately have to do it again sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by nonick
          Thanks for the info, and the pictures. That makes me want to do it more.. To be honest I only call them little american towns because I'm really not sure whats along the highway.

Tentivly I'm planning on starting much further north, probably starting in Portland, then heading west to the 101 (which I think is the start of the PCH?). Then going as far south as Eureka, CA (or however long time allows). Then taking the quick way back. Probably 10-12 days I'd assume.
          You might wanna try this. If you map out your route on the 101 and guestimate your fuel intervals according to which cities/towns you'll be passing, you can use this link to find out diesel availibility....

http://www.fuelmeup.com/main.php

I just used Pismo Beach as an example and selected diesel, and it came back with this....

Station Address (click for map) Price Diesel Posted By/Date
          542 Five Cities Dr
          Pismo Beach CA 93449
          805 773-5727 update .
          Shell
          1253 Shell Beach Rd
          Pismo Beach CA 93449
          805 773-4708 update .
          Shell
          2699 Shell Beach Rd
          Pismo Beach CA 93449
          805 773-1622

Not sure how up to date the site is, but it kinda gives a general idea on availability.
          Derick

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a shot, it should really help. I'm figuring I'll bring along a 10-20L jerry can with me too, that should be enough to get me out of a jam.

Not to mention a laptop with GPS for when my dumb ass gets lost =)
            2007 BMW 328XI

Comment

I'd guess that fuel shouldn't be a problem, but if you can get your hands on a cardlock pass, that would be another great 'just in case' thing to have. (I'm assuming it works the same in the states...) I know that I've been driving across Canada, and you pass about 3 cardlock diesel stations before you find a normal one. (And it's always when you're on E too. Go figure).

And depending on how new your car is, you could just call VW roadside assistance to bring you some diesel...

Good luck, it sounds like it'll be a wicked trip.

Comment

this has always been a drive id love to take

maybe one of these summrs some of us could make it a road trip
                Dayle

GTI

Mk3's

Comment

A friend of mine has done that trip lots with his passat diesel and has never had a fueling problem. All major highways have big trucks and truck stops everywhere.

Comment

Thats great to know that fuel isn't a problem, it was really my number one concern.

The other concern is how long it'll take me, I'm trying to plan around no more than 5-7 hours of driving a day, and not neccissarly straight driving time (more like, drive for 2-3 hours take an hour or so break, rinse, repeat).
                    2007 BMW 328XI

Comment

I did it last summer in my Jetta TDI. I don't recall ever having trouble finding fuel.

The best driving parts I recall were some roads just inland in Oregon. Very tight and twisty. Great fun/

Comment

i did the drive in my land rover almost ten years ago. i think the best part was south of carmel near big sur.
                        2004 EOS 20D

www.photobolic.com

Comment

Hey Nonick, In case youre planning on driving to SoCal, you might want to plan your trip around the weekend of July 8-9 Should be ALOT of fun...

http://www.dubwars.com/2006/
                          Derick

Comment

Working...
                          X