Sirius...install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sirius...install?

I had a friend buy me a new Sirius Sportster R, and I love it so far! The programming is great, and theres cool channels (maxim radio, area33, BBC, etc).....Only thing is, its pretty large, and its portable (you'll see why thats bad...)....I'm unsure of where I can install this thing!! I have the car kit suction cup mount, but I hate having it on my windshield with wires around! Now, I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions as to where to install this, and keep it portable? I love the sunroof motor cover mounting that has been done on the vortex, but the unit has a dock mount that you have to remove the unit vertically if you want to take it with you (I listen to it in the ambulance at work).....Sooooooo, any suggestions??
    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Re: Sirius...install?

http://www3.telus.net/dahlson_indust...s/DSCN0689.jpg

Thats how I've got mine mounted. Doesn't help you much though if you don't like it mounted on the windshield, I was able to get the wires between the dash and the windshield though so they are not that visible. The other problem I found with mounting on the windshield is that this set up doesn't respond well to cold calgary winter evenings (if it drops below about -20 C the suction cup doesn't really work anymore and the unit flails about the dash until you do something about it).
    Last edited by Road Runner; 03-26-2006, 04:22 PM.
    Road Runner
    Le Mans Blue BMW 135i- M sport Package

Comment

Hey man I sell sat radios at future shop and we professional install them as well. Radios can be installed and hardwired to the accessory wire so the unit will turn on when you turn on the car. Nicest part is you don’t have the ugly wires running to the cigarette lighter; also we can run the signal off your existing car antenna and a second atenna wont need to be mounted outside.

Hope that helps
      When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Comment

I can run the power myself, thats not a problem, neither is the antenna....its the location of the headunit...
        2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
        2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
        2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

alex do you have pics of the one off vortex?

Comment

Graeme

2015 S4
            2018 Monster 1200S

Comment

Damn that is hot! I think I just found myself a new project!
              Name: Brent
              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Very clean, very nice, I have a phobia of cutting anything in my car so I would never be able to do that.
                Road Runner
                Le Mans Blue BMW 135i- M sport Package

Comment

Originally posted by Aleks
                  I can run the power myself, thats not a problem, neither is the antenna....its the location of the headunit...
                  Ah gotcha, just couldnt really tell by your first post, whether "where to install" meant in the car or where in the city. Triples G's install is really nice jus keeping it portable like you want will be real tough. Lets see some pics when its done!
                  When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Comment

That install is hot!!!
                    Blair
                    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

I have 2 and in my Jetta it is mounted in the glove box and hardwired in. The Antenna is on the rear parcel shelf inside so you can't tell there is a radio in it. The downfall is it would take a while to remove it so its NOT portable anymore. In my Ghetto cruiser (Grand prix winter car) it is on the center console area down low, hard to see but visable if you looked in the drivers side window.

Comment

i have a differnt style of radio and i mounted it on the steeing wheel column, i will try and take some pics tonight. (mine is the oune that looks like a radar detector)
                        Last edited by albertaTDI; 03-27-2006, 02:04 PM.

Comment

ya that install is swell

Comment

Originally posted by Gumby
                            I have 2 and in my Jetta it is mounted in the glove box and hardwired in. The Antenna is on the rear parcel shelf inside so you can't tell there is a radio in it. The downfall is it would take a while to remove it so its NOT portable anymore. In my Ghetto cruiser (Grand prix winter car) it is on the center console area down low, hard to see but visable if you looked in the drivers side window.
                            I like the portability, and seeing the songs playing on the radio....I pay for it so I listen to it in almost every vehicle I'm in.....thats the only way I justify paying for radio...

Comment

ya, XM seems cool but its REALLY hard for me to justify paying someone to essentialy tell me what to listen to...
                              Last edited by James; 03-27-2006, 04:57 PM.
                              REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                              -james

Comment

Working...
                              X