Loud "zZzzZ" Noise when starting my 2000 Jetta VR6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud "zZzzZ" Noise when starting my 2000 Jetta VR6

Hey guys, I just started my car 5 mins ago and it started a "zzZz" noise. Somebody told me it was the starter? Can you guys confirm it?

Re: Loud "zZzzZ" Noise when starting my 2000 Jetta VR6

Well known problem, mine does it all the time, and its well documented on the whoretex.....To me, its the small starter gear spinning "off center" on the little shaft its on....I don't believe there is any detrimental effect, but maybe some of the VW techs on here can chime in....
    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

If its the same sound that i'm thinking about mine jetta did it too. I got NL to replace it or at least they told me they did. I'm saying that because the car is still doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleks
        Well known problem, mine does it all the time, and its well documented on the whoretex.....To me, its the small starter gear spinning "off center" on the little shaft its on....I don't believe there is any detrimental effect, but maybe some of the VW techs on here can chime in....
        Yep, Very common.
        Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
        You dig sucka?!

Comment

Originally posted by Kjonus
          If its the same sound that i'm thinking about mine jetta did it too. I got NL to replace it or at least they told me they did. I'm saying that because the car is still doing it.

Just because the part is new, doesn't mean it's good. I've seen this happen before. Should be parts warranty issue if it's been before 1yr and or before 20,000k.
          Last edited by VAG_Tech; 03-22-2006, 11:59 AM.
          Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
          You dig sucka?!

Comment

mine was making that sound when i bought my car, i had the starter replaced under warrantee and now its alll good
            sigpic

Comment

It's the starter that is sticking.

My impression is that it sticks/touches the flywheel after the engine has been started. Mine's been doing it for years and it only tends to do it when the temperature drops below +5C.
              Tim
              "When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer."

Comment

Mine does this in the winter time when cold.
                Simon

Comment

Yes, mine as well....only on the first start in cold weather. So that's the starter, huh? I had my suspicions. What's it worth to change it?
                  '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
                  --DUBS--

Comment

hey dubs, i'm going to buy one off ebay...
                    it's around 190 or so for the VR6.... i hope to get it cheaper.. install it's prob 100?

Comment

Working...
                    X