Suspension Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension Install

Anybody have any recommendations for where to get my suspension kit installed once I get it?
    '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
    --DUBS--

Re: Suspension Install

Do it yourself. Hella easy to do it as long as you have an air compressor + impact.
    Last edited by nismodrifter; 03-20-2006, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Gots that stuff, yes. Can a guy just drive it after (have to get it to a shop for an alignment somehow)?
      '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
      --DUBS--

Comment

Yes. You should wait a couple weeks before getting an alignment. Let it settle and then get it aligned.

For complete write ups on how to install suspension just check Vortex. There are write ups with pictures there. The rear should take you less than an hour, the fronts can be done in a couple of hours no problemo. Once you figure out what you're doing then it's very easy. Rent the spring compressor tool for free from Canadian Tire.

Comment

alignment shouldnt go out that much.. you dont have to take that much of it apart. I would get an alignment done, but for sure you can drive the car there after. It was my first time with suspension when I did mine.. the spring compressor i rented from partsource worked (after some modification). I had problems with the front right side because there is a litte less room to pull the strut out and you have to compress the spring more.. everything else went smooth. The 2 bolts that hold the lower part of the strut assembly are stretch bolts.. should be replaced (if you feel the need). I used an impact to take it all off and I have the strut wrench that i used to tighten the front ones up again.. but impact will do this too. I also bought the little spreader to spread the bracket at the bottom of the front struts, but there are some other ways to do this as well. Anyways, i've done this only once.. others here have done it many more times.. probably have more suggestions
          Stefan
          -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
          -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

For the front right what I did was get a piece of wood underneath the strut and push upwards as hard as you can to compress it. Once you get it up enough it will just come right out. Very very easy.

Comment

As far as torquing all the nuts upon install of the new suspension, is there a certain torque, or just tighten till you can't tighten no mo?
              '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
              --DUBS--

Comment

There is a torque setting they should be at. If you have the bently manual (like every VW owner should) they will be in there.
                Name: Brent
                His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Bently manual...hmmm...don't think I have that; or is that something that came with the car?
                  '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
                  --DUBS--

Comment

Nope but it is something every VW owner who works on their car needs.
                    http://www.bentleypublishers.com/
                    Name: Brent
                    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
                    X