Discoloured Mirror?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discoloured Mirror?

I just noticed this morning there is a big orangy coloured spot on my passenger side mirror (over the door handle in the pic). The spot is on the back of the glass. It still reflects, so I'm kinda confused as to what it is. Any ideas?

Do you need a special tool to pry the mirror off, or will a screw driver do it? Anyone have a replacement for sale?

Thanks
    Last edited by FlyBoy; 02-22-2006, 09:27 PM.
    Jeff
    Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Re: Discoloured Mirror?

Looks like the polarized stuff (is that what it's called?) or the 'blue tint' on the mirror has peeled off from the inside.
    2008 Audi RS4
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

The mirror is delaminating, it happens with age and when watter freezes between the layers. You can just push one side of the mirror in to get a grip on it then slowely pry it off. A new mirror is about $65 at the stealership.
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
        The mirror is delaminating, it happens with age and when watter freezes between the layers. You can just push one side of the mirror in to get a grip on it then slowely pry it off. A new mirror is about $65 at the stealership.
        And when you do take it off, you'll find that the heating element on the mirror connects at that exact spot. My mirror did the same thing -- the heating element was a bit scorched (which explained why it wasn't working either).
        1.8T
        Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Flanders
          And when you do take it off, you'll find that the heating element on the mirror connects at that exact spot. My mirror did the same thing -- the heating element was a bit scorched (which explained why it wasn't working either).
          Dohh ya forgot all about that.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
          X