Am I stupid to even consider this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I stupid to even consider this?

I have been looking at new purchases for my car... Boxster brake upgrade, and then the 3->3+ upgrade. Together these will cost:
    Boxster upgrade $800
    3+ upgrade $2900
    Both would be plus labor if I dont install by myself...(which I most likely wouldnt)

So in total thats gonna be at least $4500 for everything all said and done. This and then I figure I could get around 19-21 for my car...(I think) so rough estimate of $24,000 total. There are decent Stage 3 S4's in the US for 29-35 cdn...So I would end up needing a car loan of approx 6k to get everything here..Am I nuts?

Negatives:
    -S4 is more expensive to maintain
    -I already know my car inside and out... pretty much finished with upgrades, and I do LOVE it.
    -Dont know a ton about the 2.7T engine.. have to learn again.. (Not too big of a deal)
    -Car payments

Positive:
    -Hella Fast.
    -Better re-sale. (Checking S4 prices here vs. down there)
    - Did I say Hella fast? (Yep, 400hp on pump!)
    -S4 has nicer interior
    -NO car payments if I keep my current car.. only upgrade bills

So.. am I nutz??
    I know a bank loan is better spent upgrading my condo.. but how much fun is that??

Re: Am I stupid to even consider this?

not crazy mark..

I love my S4 so much.. it's leagues ahead of my jetta but that should be obvious..

learning the 2.7T is a challenge because i know the 1.8t like the back of my hand but this one is fun to learn.

The seats RULE! and you get so many little things with the car that just make it that much better.. no real need for a body kit IMO as it looks amazing already and the styling is easy to get with small mods like a grill or clear corners kind of thing..

as far as reliability yea.. its a concern of mine too.. mine is great so far and i've already dropped over 2gs into it and it seems like i havent' done anything to do at all!! which bugs me a bit but oh well

IMO if you bought a used stage3 the reliability is taken care of as I never read about K04s dying on people just the stock turbos..

rule of thumb for me.. treat the car right and it'll treat you back right.. i still shift at 3k with this one.. and drive it hard when I feel the need for speed..

i'm still waiting to purchase and exhaust, chip,etc and see how I like it from there.. but other expenses more important than the car at the moment.

Comment

Talked it over with my Dad... (Typical parent Financial advising)
      and he really is suggesting against it for obvious reasons.. Condo's appreciate, cars depreciate.. and quicker with the amounts that I spend on them...
      I think for the mean time I will go ahead with my planned upgrades, (Possibly use some money made from Condo, and tax returns) and use the rest towards upgrading the condo...

Ryan, on a side note, not sure if you are busy this weekend, but there is an Audi wonter driving school, and they have a few spots that opened up. All day saturday, $125 includes breakfast, lunch, books and swag. If you are interested lmk!

Comment

doh! sorry man i'm out of town but sounds like fun.. i'd love to get some winter skills in this thing going

Comment

Originally posted by R-Audi
          Talked it over with my Dad... (Typical parent Financial advising)
          and he really is suggesting against it for obvious reasons.. Condo's appreciate, cars depreciate.. and quicker with the amounts that I spend on them...
          I think for the mean time I will go ahead with my planned upgrades, (Possibly use some money made from Condo, and tax returns) and use the rest towards upgrading the condo...
          of course!
          Buying a car is the most stupidest investment ever. You don't do it for financial smarts...you do it because it's a) fun as all hell, and b) you want it really bad.

How badly are a and b getting to you, and is it worth the finances? (for me, I'd keep the existing car...but I've also got a mortgage and an expensive wife )
          1.8T
          Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

Sounds familiar, except swap wife for car!

Part of my upgrades were to make my car MORE fun... while still not paying enough to get another car that i will like as much. Hadnt really thought about it untill I added up my future upgrades... but at the end I wouldnt be happy with anything less then a Stage 3 S4 anyways..
            I think I will end up investing more in the next condo |:( I guess that frown will turnm upside down adding the + to the end of my Stage 3 though ;I

Comment

I’m glad you discovered what is important to you and stop right there. No matter what you add-on or mod, there is always a limitation cap of what your car can do or design in the first place. As soon as you add some hp, then sooner or later the next weakest link will appear in no time. A4 is an A4, and you can’t mod your base price model any better than an RS4. Why does Audi offer the RS4 if the S4 is good enough for the market? Is Audi stupid? I guess not. Also if you can afford the modifying then why don’t you get the top-of-the-line model in the first place? Ok Mark, keep it real. If you like the Porsche brakes, let’s get a real Porsche.

The new Cayman is d@mn sexy. <…Do both with your condo renovation:-?

Comment

Originally posted by B5
                Ok Mark, keep it real. If you like the Porsche brakes, let’s get a real Porsche.
                The new Cayman is d@mn sexy. <…Do both with your condo renovation:-?
                Gimme a brake Ambrose... ( Spelling mistake intended) If I could afford a straight up Stoptech kit I would... Same goes for the Cayman...If I was in that price range I would already own a stage 3 S4.. but Im not. I feel the bang for the buck is well spent with the Boxster monoblock 4-pistons... Not all of us get wholesale on our parts!

I already have the rotors, so its about 500 for the calipers, then 250 for the brackets, then just some small parts like lines and dust boots.. pretty good deal if you ask me!

Comment

sounds good to me mark..

can you do S4 brakes? mine are freaking HUGE.. they barely fit the stock wheels.. i guess aftermarket wheels on the S4 is a pita..

Comment

Drum brakes are where its at
                    Blair
                    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo
                      Drum brakes are where its at
                      Haha, you know it
                      Graeme

2015 S4
                      2018 Monster 1200S

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
                        sounds good to me mark..

can you do S4 brakes? mine are freaking HUGE.. they barely fit the stock wheels.. i guess aftermarket wheels on the S4 is a pita..
                        I guess for S4 brakes it is Poissible.. just not easy. For the Boxster Calipers, all I have to do is get the Calipers (Found 'em for $400cdn), A8 rotors ($140), brakcets (175usd) and new lines.. pretty cheap for a 4-piston monbloc caliper upgrade!

THe only problem is this means next winter I have to see if my 16's will fit, or buy something bigger!

Comment

Originally posted by R-Audi
                          I guess for S4 brakes it is Poissible.. just not easy. For the Boxster Calipers, all I have to do is get the Calipers (Found 'em for $400cdn), A8 rotors ($140), brakcets (175usd) and new lines.. pretty cheap for a 4-piston monbloc caliper upgrade!

THe only problem is this means next winter I have to see if my 16's will fit, or buy something bigger!
                          Although I know absolutely nothing about Audi's, I would assume that rotors from an A8 are bigger than the ones on my GLI....and if that's the case, 16's definately won't fit....especially once you add bigger calipers on top of that
                          Last edited by Smarty39; 02-15-2006, 03:34 PM.
                          Kyle
                          2000 Audi S4

Comment

yea they are slightly bigger i think..

the brakes on my S4 require minimum 17" wheel.. 4 piston big boy calipers and gi-normaous compared to my old jetta brakes.

Comment

Actually the A8/TT upgrade fit fine under the 16's.. I just dont think the Boxster Calipers do.

Now I actually have choices.. found one complete set for 800usd that include 2 piece Stasis Rotors and everything else needed

Or there is a set of calipers for 400cdn then piece together the rest of the set.. it come out to be about the same price, cept the other rotors kick ass in comparison

Comment

Working...
                              X