Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gear Grind

Originally posted by Khyron
    Get documentation that you have reported the problem to VW in case it goes past warranty, and get lots of evidence from vortex etc. If you don't do your homework of course they're not going to roll over and give you a new tranny. And go back and make sure Dave sees the car.

That all said, as Top Gear says - the VW tranny doesn't like to be rushed. So you can't be at 6K and jam it down and be surprised if it makes a noise. If you do it a bit slower from 6K it shouldn't grind. And driving normal street driving it shouldn't at all, especially under 4K.

Khyron
    yeah ive still got the documentation from last time i visited the dealership also, and will keep this upcoming one also

Comment

I have (small) problems with my current transmission. I perodically get a grind shifting from 2nd to 3rd at high RPM's. VW's assertion that you shouldn't shift at those engine speeds is rediculous. If that IS actually Volkswagen's position, I doubt I would by another one. Why would anyone buy a "sporty" car but accept they have to shift at 3500rpm? Rediculous.

I really want to buy an Audi, but as they share so many parts (including the O2M transmission) with VW, it really makes me second guess myself. How's the tranny in the S4 Ryan? (have you ever shifted above 3500rpm? lol )
      Last edited by Billip; 01-20-2006, 10:50 AM.
      billip
      2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

haha yea bill

S4 tranny is completely different.. it feels quite sporty stock IMO and is very smooth/easy to work with.

people add short shifters but I like it as is well for me anyways

Shifts fine @ any RPM in any gear..

best part about the S4 is you can roll around in 5th/6th gear doing like 40km/hr LOL and you just give it a bit of gas and the car just goes.. those 2 turbos are the best

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
          haha yea bill

S4 tranny is completely different.. it feels quite sporty stock IMO and is very smooth/easy to work with.

people add short shifters but I like it as is well for me anyways

Shifts fine @ any RPM in any gear..

best part about the S4 is you can roll around in 5th/6th gear doing like 40km/hr LOL and you just give it a bit of gas and the car just goes.. those 2 turbos are the best
          i wish mine was that good

Comment

i'll never buy a VW again.. not that they are bad.. i love dubs to death but Audis are on another level all together.. the build quality of my S4 makes my jetta feel like crap and my jetta was GOOD!

Comment

I cooked my stock tranny and it had 130,000 km on and it had about 70passes down the track and about 50 dyno pulls. I never have any problems with the gears not going in smooth . I have a friend with a GTI and since it was new it was grinding gears like mad. He took it to the dealer all the time and they said its fine, they told him its the way you drive, thats bull to me. I would change the fluid with Red Line Oil's MTL and MT-90. This stuff works well. hope things work out
              EURODYNE
              01 Gti awd 2L 20V HTA3582 11.4@124 best mph 128.25
              04 R32T 6266
              Tow machine 2011 F350 DRW 6.7

Comment

Try gm synchromesh? u guys think that will help?
                Last edited by Chris_t; 01-20-2006, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Help? Probably. Miracle cure? No.

Khyron
                  Geoff
                  Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_t
                    I've got an appointment with 5th ave again this upcoming tuesday. It'll be the second time it goes there now for the same problem maybe they will do soemthing about it now.

Im also going to book an appointment with SCFC today hopefully i get can into there early then tuesday.

I apperciate all the replies
                    ask the S.A who hAS THE MOST TRANNY training in the shop.
                    so they can properly assess your situation.
                    i notice no techs online have answered any of your concerns,nobody
                    wants to work on warranty cars..thats the problem..
                    when you go to S.C.F.C ask for the service manager,he's a v.w.master
                    tech and still works on cars,he will give you the answer you need and if
                    it's warranty or not.

cheers and good luck

Comment

Working...
                    X