wheel opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel opinion

Hey guys, was getting my brakes checked out today and the tire guy asked if i wanted some used rims. They are 17" FRD 30's. Pretty plain wheel, for at most 100$ each (better if I get them to do my brakes). I figured they would be an ok wheel for next summer, since I'm not able to spend to much on wheels right now.

Anyway I thought it was a pretty good deal. Just wanted another opinion. If 100$ wheels pop up all the time, i might hold off. I need new tires next summer, and i would much rather get 17" instead of the 15"s i have now.

thx
    Last edited by stefan; 09-28-2005, 06:43 PM.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Re: wheel opinion

Nothing wrong with a 5-spoke classic wheel. Several other companies make wheels very similar to this one for good reason... they are popular. One other thing to consider is a set of used rims/tires in good condition. $400 for wheels, and expect at least another $500 for tires, you might be able to find other options in the used market too.

Jeff
    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
    hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
    sigpic

Comment

Every cent you invest into wheels pretty much pays off in terms of looks. I guess it depends on your goals. Adding some 17's to your car probably won't make it really stand out that much since 17's are OEM (18's are OEM even) and most people who are interested in cars will recognize that its a budget aftermarket wheel.

I would say maybe save up until summer and invest a little more, I got a good deal on used wheels from Vortex with a little patience.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
        Every cent you invest into wheels pretty much pays off in terms of looks. I guess it depends on your goals. Adding some 17's to your car probably won't make it really stand out that much since 17's are OEM (18's are OEM even) and most people who are interested in cars will recognize that its a budget aftermarket wheel.

I would say maybe save up until summer and invest a little more, I got a good deal on used wheels from Vortex with a little patience.
        I agree that it isnt going to stand out much, but I dont think I should over 17". I would like to, but i think i am on gravel roads too much for anything bigger... the car has to stay functional for me.
        Stefan
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by stefan
          I agree that it isnt going to stand out much, but I dont think I should over 17". I would like to, but i think i am on gravel roads too much for anything bigger... the car has to stay functional for me.
          I hate to say this cause I don't want to sound like a dick... but if your budget is just a couple hundred bucks and you want to stay with 17" wheels, you might want to just reconsider the wheel idea entirely.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I have those wheels.
            Nick
            There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
            --Albert Einstein

Comment

100x4 is good deal IMO even rock them as winters if you don't like them for summers

Comment

Personally...I think going from 15's to 17's on a practical budget is a good idea. I know I don't have $2500 for a wheel/tire combo. Having said that, there are people who pay $2500 and then sell em for $1000 when they're barely used...

To each their own!

BTW I considered those wheels for my old car...

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                  I hate to say this cause I don't want to sound like a dick... but if your budget is just a couple hundred bucks and you want to stay with 17" wheels, you might want to just reconsider the wheel idea entirely.

heh.. no prob.... dick...
                  its mostly because I need new rubber in the spring regardless. I figured I could go 17" with these ones and still get some other stuff done on the car. At least I would have the 17" rubber if I wanted to upgrade the wheels later.
                  Stefan
                  -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

well if you can only afford a couple hundred bucks for rims you dont wanna know what decent lo-pro tire costs
                    REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                    -james

Comment

Originally posted by James
                      well if you can only afford a couple hundred bucks for rims you dont wanna know what decent lo-pro tire costs
                      Yeah this is kinda where I was going, the costs will just kinda escalate.

I guess if you need new tires anyway, its a good time to buy a different wheel size when you buy your new tires.

If you don't scoop those 17's up, I know that this time of year people are often looking for cheap 17's for winter wheels.
                      Last edited by Kor; 09-29-2005, 09:46 AM.
                      KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by James
                        meh, im probably gonna get the best tires i can, it will be 500$+ even with the 15" i got now, so thats not an issue. Im not going to skimp on the parts that actually effect the integrity of the car. I guess for just appearance, its not a matter of affording... its just justifying :P.

Put it this way, its never gonna be a show winner....if I just want to go up to a 17, are they a good quality wheel? and do you think the price is reasonable. To be honest, with all the offroad camping and such that this car gets put through, I'd be scared I would wreck nice wheels. Also, i need clearance... it would be a shame to but super nice wheels on and not be able to lower the car a bit.

I dont want to have to have to resort to driving my beater truck on a holiday in fear of wrecking the wheels on my car...
                        Last edited by stefan; 09-29-2005, 10:05 AM.
                        Stefan
                        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I think they are probably a decent wheel (but as Kris said it stands out as a budget wheel), not sure what other places sell them for so not sure how good of a deal that is.

Another option you may want to consider if 17" is the limit is to look for long beaches or Monte's, I think I would prefer those over FRD's and can probably be had for a similar price.
                          Jay

Comment

cool. well thx guys. opinion threads are great
                            I think i'll let these ones go - mostly 'cause the more I look at them, the more they just dont do it for me. I have until spring to make up my mind on what I want anyways.
                            Stefan
                            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

you could buy my baller 19s if you like

Comment

Working...
                              X