Winter Car Suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Car Suggestions...

So I have decided that driving the diesel in the winter might not be the best bet... The car takes AGES to warm up and well I like being warm...

I think this is pretty normal for diesels and there isn't much that I can do to speed up the warm up..... With that said I will be needing a winter car pretty soon...

Essentially I am looking for a VW or some type of 4x4 around $3000... The car/SUV must be safe, must RUN, not need excessive repairs and have good heat as well as be clean... Is anyone selling or know anyone selling a good used beast for around this price with the above specs?

Re: Winter Car Suggestions...

A friend of mine is selling a 4x4 heavy half chevy, runs good. I will check to see how much he is selling it for.
    STEVE

Comment

i know of a 92 chev blazer. in or below that price range. i can let you know.
      you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

Aren't TDIs are pretty decent if you get a coolant heater? Got plugins at work/home? Just an option for you...

Khyron
        Geoff
        Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
          Aren't TDIs are pretty decent if you get a coolant heater? Got plugins at work/home? Just an option for you...

Khyron
          They are fine down to -40oC but a coolant heater just makes it that much nicer when you get in and can have heat almost right away...
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Does anyone have a link to where I can get one of these coolant heaters or some pricing? Are they pretty easy to install?

I don't know if I want to risk anyone sliding into my new car in winter... If someone slides into a shitbox that I am driving I wouldn't be as upset.

Comment

One of the best reasons to have a VW is they are very safe. If you're going to be in a crash, winter is a likely season. Better in the Jetta than in a beater sunbird. Also with good tires they are excellent winter drivers, and with heated seats etc I can't see why anyone wouldn't drive it (except full on show cars etc).

As for the coolant heaters I think Alex got one at crappy tire for 40 bucks so they are not too bad. I don't have plugins at work so I got a command start instead.

Khyron
              Geoff
              Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

I've never had a problems keeping warm in the winter in the TDI. It heats up as fast as anything else. It just won't heat up idling.

The coolant heater most people use are the Zerostart small body coolant heater. Available at CT, but probably cheaper at Gregg's Distributors. Plus Gregg's sells the thermostatic versions, CT just sells the non thermostat units.

Catalog Here Page 71, any of the "small body" units.

If you like real warmth, then get a Espar diesel fired coolant heater. See here. Around $1000, but you get a fully warmed engine and cab anytime, anywhere.

Comment

Umm are you talking about a unit that turns on at those temps or blocks the output? I know some of the zerostart units have a check valve in them that will make moving the coolant around in your engine very interesting when it is off....
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

can you get a high idle switch for a tdi? you can for most diesel trucks just for this reason (not heating up at an idle).
                    Stefan
                    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
                      Umm are you talking about a unit that turns on at those temps or blocks the output? I know some of the zerostart units have a check valve in them that will make moving the coolant around in your engine very interesting when it is off....
                      No check valves. They just have thermostats to keep the water at the temperatures specified. Helps to save electricity. They are the exact same units as the one at CT, except they control the temperature. If you look at Temor's website, they have exploded diagrams of the heaters.
                      Last edited by Red90; 09-19-2005, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stefan
                        can you get a high idle switch for a tdi? you can for most diesel trucks just for this reason (not heating up at an idle).
                        Never heard of one. It would be nice. A lot better for the engine and like you say, allow it to warm up. It would have to be done electronically.

Comment

Originally posted by stefan
                          A TDI will loose heat at idle, just try getting stuck in traffic on a really really cold day and you will find out. I know the think you are talking about and they only work on cable throttles as they just depress the petal a little to keep the throttle up.

Comment

just wear heavier shoes on cold days to make your idle faster

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
                              just wear heavier shoes on cold days to make your idle faster
                              Bingo, we have a winner.

Anyway, something could designed with a switch to boost idle speed when stopped.

Comment

Working...
                              X