Warped Rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warped Rotors

Hi all, just signed up for the forums today , great info!
    Im driving an '01 Jetta TDI with warped rotors up front. The car is Upsolute-ed, but doesnt have any other performance mods that would push it to the point of needing upgraded brakes, but since i do need rotors, I would like to get the best I can (within reason). I think my city driving is a little above average as far as brake use goes (and accelerator use...), and i get about 25000km/yr trips through the mountains in BC, which can involve a fair bit of heavy breaking. Im sure oe replacement will do just fine, but i'll take the oppertunity to upgrade if there is an option that someone else can vouch for. I have been looking locally at what C1 has, any was maybe considering their Zimmermans w/ ceramics, but but there are some mixed opinions on those here too. Just need to get these rotors off before the snow falls.
    Thanks,
    -Stefan
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Re: Warped Rotors

C1's pricing is too high on brake stuff. i just redid all my brakes and they were the most expensive for brakes. your brakes not covered under warranty? warped rotors occur for a few reasons. one is bad composition of materials, another is bad bedding, and another is cooling them off too quickly, ie. spraying water onto hot rotors.

if you want to get your brakes sorted out OE should do the job, VW always has good brakes on their cars, but you might want to look at a pad that suits your driving style. a good flush of the system, not just a bleed, will also do wonders for your braking.

the zimmermans with ceramics are the setup i am running and i cannot fault them AT ALL. with the 11.3" front and 9.4" rears my car stops on a dime. we did a 180-0 brake test before and after and i was stopping far shorter after the brake job off of stock setup.

for the brake hookups speak to mike @ pgperformance in vancouver. shipping is dirt cheap and they will set you up. check out www.pgperformance.com for the website or email mike at mike@pgperformance.com. they are away for 1 week and should be back next week. went to germany on vacation so the shop is closed but mike can order parts in and checks his email. if you go this route tell him Andrew with the "smurf" (its my car) sent you. he knows me well
    Team Highschool
    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

I have heard nothing but good things about zimmerman brake products.

I would be wary of any kind of ceramic pad since they usually need to be warmed up before they really bite, and on a non-track car there is a big difference in how cool your pads will be most of the time.

For best prices, I would say order something from online.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Thanks,
        No warrenty, I bought this car with 40k km/2yr CPO warrenty, and used it up in a year... so im on my own. Water may have cause it, come to think of it. There has been a couple occasions where I have got out on the highway to find vibrations due to mud in the wheels (usually after camping, or some long dirt road drive) ... so of course, i find a carwash and spray it out. I seem to remember thinking that maybe this wasnt so good for the rotors... but the alternative was several hours of driving on unbalanced wheels. I'll keep that in mind for the next set of rotors though. I'll check the website out after work, as I have spent enough time writing this already
        Ciao,
        Stefan
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Contact Doug -- he's got some great used stuff available...(more than just this post: )
          http://www.newveedub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6562
          1.8T
          Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

Working...
          X