Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fun at the gas station.

Originally posted by Stonewall
    I think you are wrong on that Bart. I believe it has been proven that biodiesel runs cleaner and with a HP increase. Hell that "Trucks" episode I watched he said the truck smoked less, smelled better and had a noticable increase in power.
    Hahaha the truck smelled like french fries!
    I filled up with diesel on the way home from work for 88.9c/L

PS, GLENN, When can I come fill up

Comment

I heard on the news today that canada doesn't stockpile any oil as we export or refine it as quick as it comes out of the ground. They also mentioned that we can't up production to help out the states since we always operate at max capacity. It mybe a little cold hearted to say but I don't think we should be cutting them any breaks on oil after they have collected 5billion dollars in illegal tarrefs on our soft wood entering into the states. Giving aid money that goes to the people who needs it I don't mind. Cutting prices to a country that has a huge reserve and tries to control the worlds oil supplies is not my idea of disaster aid.
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Does BD make the car slower? Yes and no. University of Ohio tests on a naturally aspirated test engine showed a 1-2% loss in power and on a mildly turbocharged engine it lost a consistant 1% power under almost every circumstance, however running biodiesel is like running propane in a gasser. You may lose a little power with all things being equal but the bio-diesel can take a whole hell of a lot more boost and an earlier injection point.

At stock boost and timing EGT's also tend to be lower.

My 22 year old steaming bag of poop 2.5l 55 hp N/A diesel runs like butter on it. The cleaning properties of DB have restored much lost power (with 55 hp 'much' is VERY relative).

Originally posted by Stonewall
        I think you are wrong on that Bart. I believe it has been proven that biodiesel runs cleaner and with a HP increase. Hell that "Trucks" episode I watched he said the truck smoked less, smelled better and had a noticable increase in power.

Comment

Doesnt it (BD) cloud in the wintertime?
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Just like french fries coagulate when they cool down...

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
              Doesnt it (BD) cloud in the wintertime?
              It is recomended to run more of a mix of straight diesel to biodiesel but I have seen many cars run on stright bio without to many major hickups. I bet there is something on the market now to thin out BD so it doesn't get to thick.
              Name: Brent
              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

There are in tank heaters (such as the ones for petro-diesel in the even colder climates) that eliminates the grief of biodiesel gelling up at a higher temp than petro.

As Stonewall said the most recommended solution is a mix of between 10% - 50% petrodiesel. There are anti-freeze additives for diesel but they cost a whole heck of a lot more than a few litres of straight diesel.

I ran my truck on 90%+ BD as far down as -10 C before the starter pooped out on me. It took a little longer to start (partially due to the non-functional glow plugs) but it ran.

I've also found that using the two stage process, which involves a preliminary reaction with some bad-ass sulfuric acid, makes the fuel flow better in colder weather. Better flow is achieved with a wee bit more acid and a wee bit longer of a sit time before neutralizing the acid.

I had jars of the stuff sitting on my back deck for half the winter so I could watch the different mixes react to temperature.

Speaking of my white trash deck collection... While watching my collection from late July last year until well in to spring this year I found that most bugs seem to LOVE bio-diesel. Every day there would be a new layer of dead bugs on the outside of the jars. I put a piece of wood with some diesel soaked in to it outside and every day I had to scrape the bugs off. They are attracted to it and stick to it and die.

HAWT!

Comment

Working...
                X