Suspension ??'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension ??'s

Since I'm getting sick of the 4x4 look on the Jetta, I'm looking to get it dumped in the next few weeks. The problem is, being in school full time, the money situation is pretty crappy. What are some options?

I'd prefer to go with a full kit, and not just springs.... and I can't afford to go to low here in Calgary either (Maybe 1.5"). I learned that the hard way with my old car

I was looking at the FK at C1, but I'm not sure about the rake on that kit, anyone have any pics.... plus are there any comparable kits.. ie:weitec, etc...

Thanks.
    Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

Same thing I want to do, but haven't yet. Ideally a 1.5" drop from springs and shocks without spending too much money.

However, after some research I came to a couple of different conclusions.

1. Although the springs may advertise a 1.5" drop, you may end up with anywhere from 1.25" to 2" depending on the springs, your car, etc.

2. Lots of products seem to target around 2" but thats pretty low for here

3. I can't afford coilovers. I like the idea of being able to adjust the height myself, so I could jack my car up high in the winter... but so much money...

4. Everyone recommends something different. There are so many brand names...

The FK kit is available at Concept 1 but its not one of the most popular kits so there arent a lot of reviews...

Volinder is selling RPI springs I think but they might be a bit too low for you.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Dude in 1-2 weeks I'm doing the FK hightec kit on my jetta (03 GLS 1.8t stock 17" longbeaches) i'm doing the 40mm all around drop 1.56" you can get the 55/40 one but that would be all raked out so 40mm around should look nice and balance and we won't be plowing snow come november.

Ryan.

Comment

fk doesnt have a 40/40 last time i checked, they have 35/40 and 55/40

i have the 55/40 one.
        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

did you have to get a front sway done with the 55/40 since 55 is over 2".. are you plowing snow come winter too? I want something that looks good all around that I won't plow with and will look good with stock 17's and 18's by summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Kor

3. I can't afford coilovers. I like the idea of being able to adjust the height myself, so I could jack my car up high in the winter... but so much money...
            We are in the same situation.... I want coil-overs so I can drive in the winter.... but they're too expensive. Also, I'm not a big fan of the raked look... so I want something fairly even.

Comment

Sounds like what we need is a really good group buy on some coilovers this summer
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by lsc2g
                did you have to get a front sway done with the 55/40 since 55 is over 2".. are you plowing snow come winter too? I want something that looks good all around that I won't plow with and will look good with stock 17's and 18's by summer.
                yes i got a sway bar, you need one, or else the stock one wont clear the axle. no problems driving during the winter.
                2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

I have the Eibach Pro-Kit it seems alright, I just bought the springs cause I can't really afford the coilovers. I also did it myself because I can't afford shop rates either.
                  Nick
                  There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
                  --Albert Einstein

Comment

How much is a new front sway?
                    also the shop rates aren't that bad.. C1 charges like 235 for a suspension install.. seems fine for me

Ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartiepants
                      I have the Eibach Pro-Kit it seems alright, I just bought the springs cause I can't really afford the coilovers. I also did it myself because I can't afford shop rates either.
                      Do you know how to put in suspension on your own?
                      Was it tough? Do you have a spring compressor?

Comment

Springs are not hard to install. If you have a big hammer and a lot of patience it should take about 1 hour per side, and about 10 minutes per side on the back. You need a spring compressor to release the stock spring from the strut. You really don;t need a compressor when you reverse the process because the spring is so much shorter. I put the H&R lowering springs on with my stock sport shocks. I picked up the springs for 225 at C1. Pretty good deal but I don't think they have anymore. I am putting Bilsteins on right away. about 900 for those. thats my 2 cents:thumbsup:
                        Matt
                        ================
                        Diesel's are soooo much fun.

Comment

I have the FK hi-tech kit installed (35/40) and the rear is about 1 inch higher than the front. Slight rake, but I'm liking it now.

Khyron
                          Geoff
                          Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Simply the best go with the FK Hi-tech.

If I recall it correct. There is no off the shelf coil-over kit that is truly can adjust your car as stock height for MK4. So you will still have the minimum drop of like 30~40mm.
                            “If you think your car is under control, you’re going slow.”

Comment

Its not that bad to do yourself, it took me and my dad about 6 hours, but thats cause we dropped our socket into the engine compartment and had to go rescue it. I know shop rate would have been like 200 bucks but thats 200 more bucks in my pocket.

Yeah I've got some spring compressors and the only tough part is the front passenger side because of the driveshaft.
                              Nick
                              There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
                              --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X