Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: question for all u 1.8t jetta owners

Originally posted by Bora_4_Me
    If the speed limit is 100 kph you can take the car up to 100 in second gear and get close to 6000, only run for a few seconds don't run for log at that high of an rpm 3 rd and 4 th at 6000 rmp is quite fast. The first couple times it should be someplace where there is not much traffic and you can watch your tach more than the speedo. Do a quick shift as to not loose much rpm. These cars will tach out quick so don't keep your food in it or you will be doing 180 kph before you know it.

oh i get what ure saying..maybe next time when you come over we can give it a try...thanks
    Last edited by forreal; 08-21-2005, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bora_4_Me
      First is a fast gear and has much torque second is better as you have more time to keep an eye on the tach, first will get to 6000 fast and I find it to be a hard shift. When we were out in my car and I did that quick shift and said "That was quite harsh." that was first to second at around 5500. The car really lurches, second to 3rd is a smoother shift at higher RPMs.
      "That was quite harsh." i remember that...my friend when he braught my car home for me said the same thing that its hard to get it into second at higher rpms

Comment

hey guys

i was wondering if someone could help me i got a little problem like for example say im doing 130-140km/h in 5th gear and i approach a hill, and my car starts slowing down. How can i properly handle that situation?

Like the other day i was coming home on 16th ave and i was doing 140km/h in 5th gear, and I was approaching a hill, like an incline my car started slowing down alot. I put it into 4th gear and then reacellerated and then kept it in 4th untill i was past the hill/uphill. When i put it into 4th i did not slow the car down i just put it into 4th and then accelerated again. Im wondering if i did everything right or was i supposed to go down into a lower gear?
        thanks

And also if someone doesn't mind can someone please post like the general speed guidelines for each gear for a 1.8t jetta?

thanks

Comment

Well basically if your rpms drop too low the car will slow down on inclines. So you have to just watch your tach. I think that you're actually pretty high up in 5th at 140-150 so it shouldn't be a problem, you should be able to cruise right along at that speed...
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
            Well basically if your rpms drop too low the car will slow down on inclines. So you have to just watch your tach. I think that you're actually pretty high up in 5th at 140-150 so it shouldn't be a problem, you should be able to cruise right along at that speed...
            oh okay so if im pretty high up there doing 140-150 it shoundlt b a problem, but lets say im doing 100-110km/h in 5th and a big hill does come up and my car starts slowing down alot then would it b fine if i shift down to fourth from the same speed im doing (100-110) then accelerate to like 120 or so and then kick it back into 5th gear?

also once ure in 5th gear can u accelerate a lil bit or accelerating in fifth is a no no?

sorry if my questions sound stupid man

i really apperciate the help

Comment

in a 1.8t you can rock 5th gear from 60km/hr+

today i was driving around and came up to a starting green light and traffic was doing like 20km/hr and i was taking on my phone so i had a hard time downshifting and i accidentally put my car in 4th.. well 4th gear and 15km/hr it drove fine

Comment

In short you should shift down whenever you want.
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

exactly

Comment

alright thanks Ryan and Kor

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
                      in a 1.8t you can rock 5th gear from 60km/hr+

today i was driving around and came up to a starting green light and traffic was doing like 20km/hr and i was taking on my phone so i had a hard time downshifting and i accidentally put my car in 4th.. well 4th gear and 15km/hr it drove fine

15km/h in 4th
                      thats crazy

Comment

Working...
                      X