Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Concerns...

Hi everyone,

I'm getting closer to getting a Jetta but I have a couple of quick questions still. Forgive the me if the questions sound a little naive but you guys seem to be straight shooters and have gotten a good rep. Is there anything I should watch out for if I buy from a non-VW dealer (ie. Honda West, Sunridge Nissan, Silverhill...etc)? If the warranty is still valid, any VW dealership should honor it regardless of whether it was purchased privately or from a dealer correct? Is there any particular year that is better for the MKIV's (ie. where little bugs like the windows falling were fixed)? Any major issues with the PD in the 04/05's? Thanks for all your help. I'll hopefully be joining you soon.

Re: Buying Concerns...

uhh i dunno about warranty personally i'd buy a used one directly from a dealer myself. If your getting a diesel i don't think there are any issues with the new PD engines but some diesel heads can probably fill you in better than me..

after 03 all the quirks like windows,coil packs,etc should be resolved so you'll be all good..

good luck with the purchase

Comment

The PD is a pretty sweet engine...
      Basically ensure that the car has only been filled with the VW approved diesel oil and that the oil changes have been done at the right times.

Comment

Yes, Your warranty should still be ok as long as it still HAS warranty (obviously). One of the advantages to buying a "Certified VW" is that if it's fairly new and low km's they usually throw on a year or 2 of warranty. That being said, it sounds like a couple people that have bought "certified VW's" haven't been very happy with the buying experience and have had small issues with their vehicles. ALSO, I think most VW Dealers (at least NL) seems to get a bunch of their VW's from Quebec and Ontario which tend to be a little rustier underneath from all the salt use out there. It's possible a VW from a honda or Nissan dealership is just a local trade in.

I may have just totally confused you....sorry
        Jay

Comment

Some maintenance history documents will help big time. It is good to have the local VW dealer to do a pre-sale inspection before you buy. In that case you will have the official check-list by VW.

Comment

Originally posted by B5
            Some maintenance history documents will help big time. It is good to have the local VW dealer to do a pre-sale inspection before you buy. In that case you will have the official check-list by VW.
            I agree with Ambrose.
            Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
            You dig sucka?!

Comment

buy mine
              Dayle

GTI

Mk3's

Comment

true or if you want a 1.8T and a premodded car PM ctown driver and you can buy his 02 1.8t jetta fully modded for 22CDN and he'll fly you down to california and you drive the baby back up!

Comment

Actually if you are looking for a used car many of the people on this forum have taken better care of their cars than almost anyone you have ever met. So when a nice one goes up for sale it may be worth checking out. Some of these guys garage the car 10 months of the year and wax and vacuum it weekly.
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I agree with Kor/ Kris,
                    You would be probably better served buying from one of the people on the board. Silverfire has a 5 speed Golf I think? For sale he can tell you all the details etc...

Cordialtea
                    Some days you step in it, some days you don't.

Comment

ctowns is a show winner.. never winter driven.. cleaned daily pm him you can't go wrong trust me

Comment

yep let me know if your interested in a new jetta at all..ive gotten alot of interest this week so im goin to go ahead and sell it as soon as i can and look for a 2000-2002 tdi so i can keep my mods for it
                        Dayle

GTI

Mk3's

Comment

If you are going to pay the dealer markup from a dealer you would be better off buying it from a VW dealer so that you know you are getting a VW CPO.

All dealers price their used stuff by the same general formula so the prices between them ought to be similar, unless that dealer knows something about the car that they aren't sharing with you.

Comment

I have gone the "Used" route with dealers that are less than stellar and I ended up buying from NL I paid more but I knew the car was inspected and it had an extra 2 year warranty, because the Km were low enough. Little qwerks were fixed at no cost to me. I will buy from them again or from another VW dealer. I am not going to mess around with off brand dealers again. I was trying to save $1400 but ended up with a $2000 head ache.
                            Barry
                            Tossa Blue Metalic 2008 Jetta City
                            Mods; Clear side markers, Wolflsburg suspension, painted calipers, aftermarket fog lights, blue LED park lights, Euro Aluminum Antenna Mast

Comment

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback. It really helps. I talked to one place yesterday and I'll be looking around this weekend.

One other thing, what do you guys think about the paint/rust/interior protection stuff that dealers pitch. One guy I talked to last night mentioned if I were to buy, for a discounted (but also extra) charge they would "diamondkote" the vehicle. It sounds good but I also heard this is where they make some money back from you. It was an 04 so it should probably already have a descent protection package should it not?

Silverfire-I would love to get your car but the girlfriend and I will probably be looking for an auto.

Comment

Working...
                              X