Phatbox from stealership or ....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phatbox from stealership or ....?

I have decided, after reading everyones reviews, that I am going to get a phatbox...

I called around and all the dealers have the same price ($259 for phatbox, $40ish for mounting screws and brackets, + GST)...

I was looking to get one quite quickly (before the weekend (before tomorrow is even better))... Are there any places other than dealers that sell these little guys, maybe for less $$?

-Tronz

Re: Phatbox from stealership or ....?

Originally posted by Davetronz
    I have decided, after reading everyones reviews, that I am going to get a phatbox...

I called around and all the dealers have the same price ($259 for phatbox, $40ish for mounting screws and brackets, + GST)...

I was looking to get one quite quickly (before the weekend (before tomorrow is even better))... Are there any places other than dealers that sell these little guys, maybe for less $$?

-Tronz
    I think it was pretty close to that price after some folks on here ordered from the US.. after conversion, tax, duty and upsRaperage. Maybe try the search and see if you can get the thread on it.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

i posted a while ago that you can get it for $199 CDN shipped...

from a dealership. http://www.newveedub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6078
      Last edited by variable26; 08-10-2005, 12:47 PM.

Comment

I didnt find anything cheaper, I went to SCFC and picked mine up.

Originally posted by Davetronz

-Tronz
        2003 Passat 1.8T

Comment

I would say to look around a bit more, but that seems like that going rate these days. Just be happy you're not having to pay over $600 like I did!
          Kyle
          2000 Audi S4

Comment

Just go to the dealer and start listening to music on the weekend.

Comment

I liked the idea that I could easily return mine to the dealer here if there were any problems as opposed to paying shipping to get one from afar and potentially having to ship it back if it didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Stampfan
                I liked the idea that I could easily return mine to the dealer here if there were any problems as opposed to paying shipping to get one from afar and potentially having to ship it back if it didn't work.
                They are a VW factory part, you could take it back to any dealer in theory for repairs.

Comment

Aren't there any other VW shops (or any garage that works with VW) that can order parts from the dealership?

I went to my garage out here, and they ordered it for me (from the dealer) and charged me $200 for it. The $259 has some wicked mark-up!
                  1.8T
                  Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by tintin
                    They are a VW factory part, you could take it back to any dealer in theory for repairs.
                    Werd to that. I had a problem with my DMS (the HD that comes with the system) so I took it in, and Rick gave me a new DMS no questions asked. I was in & out in 5 minutes.

Present
                    2010 Audi A4 S-Line
                    2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
                    2003 VW Jetta GLI
                    1992 VW Jetta GL
                    1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Paid a total of $255 (119 for phat + mount bracket + duty + shipping) from 1stvwparts.com, the order was processed really quickly, customer service was good. They send you updates as the order advances.

If you could escape UPS screwing you for $62 duty it'd be a steal. Does anyone know how to specify their own customs broker?

I can tell you that you won't regret it...I installed mine Sunday and I'm loving it. Takes some time to get the music organized...only partially done...

One note, if you've a friend with a Dremel...borrow it! It's a real pain to cut the plastic in the mounting location with a utility knife!
                      Last edited by kuhli; 08-10-2005, 04:23 PM.

Comment

NL was outrageous, but 5th Ave gave a good discount. Call and say you're a NVD member and were looking for a phatbox and ask if there's any specials. Maybe free mounting brackets?

The supply might be lower now but when I called I think I got the whole thing for less than 250 including brackets. Don't expect/demand anything, just inquire.

Khyron
                        Geoff
                        Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Originally posted by kuhli
                          Paid a total of $255 (119 for phat + mount bracket + duty + shipping) from 1stvwparts.com, the order was processed really quickly, customer service was good. They send you updates as the order advances.

If you could escape UPS screwing you for $62 duty it'd be a steal. Does anyone know how to specify their own customs broker?

I can tell you that you won't regret it...I installed mine Sunday and I'm loving it. Takes some time to get the music organized...only partially done...

One note, if you've a friend with a Dremel...borrow it! It's a real pain to cut the plastic in the mounting location with a utility knife!
                          If you're installing into a golf, use my method, don't cut your car!! A full DIY is at...

www.members.shaw.ca/cjwilkins

Comment

Does that install method work for Monsoon systems? Looks like they'd be a bit more complex. And yes, cutting that panel was the last thing in the world I wanted to do to the car...

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
                              NL was outrageous, but 5th Ave gave a good discount. Call and say you're a NVD member and were looking for a phatbox and ask if there's any specials. Maybe free mounting brackets?

The supply might be lower now but when I called I think I got the whole thing for less than 250 including brackets. Don't expect/demand anything, just inquire.

Khyron
                              This was the route I went... Went down to 5th ave and the guys there were really good... Got everything all said and done (brackets included, tax in for under $280)... I still haven't paid for a membership so I didn't mention NVD and I still think I got a decent deal... I guess there aren't many left around in Calgary...

Kuhli: Yes the install works fine with the monsoon... On the phatbox VW website they give instructions on how to install and set up for each factory head unit... I have the Monsoon as well and it doesn't look overly complicated... The only part I am worried about is getting the connector to fit properly and this "cutting of panels"... LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X