Brake Caliper Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Caliper Tool

hi folks, i need rear brakes soon. can anyone tell me where i can rent or buy a brake caliper tool in calgary? i'll need this for retracting the calipers.

2004 EOS 20D

www.photobolic.com

Re: Brake Caliper Tool

use 2 flateblade screwdrivers and put it between the rotor and old pads while the caliper is still in the car or use a C-clamp.

Comment

the piston must be turned clockwise and pushed at the same time on the rears. your trick will work in the front.
      2004 EOS 20D

www.photobolic.com

Comment

Originally posted by TDI DUB
        use a C-clamp.
        Do NOT use a C clamp on the rear calipers, I repeat do NOT use a C clam. YOu will ruin the pistons and have to buy all new calipers. The rear pistons need to be rotated as they are pressed back in. You can go to parts ousrce etc and buy a universal rear brake tool (little cub looking thing) that fits onto a 3/8 ratchet. Personally I hate the universal tool but it does work but next time I am just going to buy the metalnerd rear brake tool. I believe the ontario VW clubs website (also a member on our site but I forget his user name :( ) has a writeup on how to do all the brakes.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
          Do NOT use a C clamp on the rear calipers, I repeat do NOT use a C clam. YOu will ruin the pistons and have to buy all new calipers. The rear pistons need to be rotated as they are pressed back in. You can go to parts ousrce etc and buy a universal rear brake tool (little cub looking thing) that fits onto a 3/8 ratchet. Personally I hate the universal tool but it does work but next time I am just going to buy the metalnerd rear brake tool. I believe the ontario VW clubs website (also a member on our site but I forget his user name :( ) has a writeup on how to do all the brakes.
          I used the brake cube and a C Clamp. I just couldn't exert enough pressure while turning the brake cube to get the piston to retract.

Kind of turns into a 2 person job. One keeping pressure on the brake cube and piston by carefully tightening the C Clamp, while the other person rotates the brake cube. There was probably an easier way, but that's how I ended up doing it.

I also had to modify the brke cube a bit as none of the existing sides quite matched up with the VW piston properly.
          Pat
          Driver Found: Camber Wanted

Comment

Do NOT use a C clamp on the rear calipers.
            I was assuming, I have never changed pads on a car with rear disc, my bad.
            Is this because of a mechanism inside the caliper for the park brake?
            Last edited by RobG; 08-09-2005, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TDI DUB
              Is this because of a mechanism inside the caliper for the park brake?
              I believe so, it also auto adjusts the rear calipers. I too found the rears a PITA to push in, if you take the rotor off and put the caliper back on loosely you can usually push it in with only a minimal amount of swearing. That is why next time I will get the metalnerd tool, it pushes and turns it, easy as pie.
              Name: Brent
              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Personally I hate the universal tool but it does work but next time I am just going to buy the metalnerd rear brake tool. I believe the ontario VW clubs website (also a member on our site but I forget his user name :( ) has a writeup on how to do all the brakes.
                Flanders
                Mr. Fartypants
                Barry
                Tossa Blue Metalic 2008 Jetta City
                Mods; Clear side markers, Wolflsburg suspension, painted calipers, aftermarket fog lights, blue LED park lights, Euro Aluminum Antenna Mast

Comment

yep, we made a how-to:

http://ottawa-vdubbing.com/info/tech...akes/index.htm

The universal tool definitely works -- I just used it over the past weekend on my brakes. The trick to using it (my opinion ) is to put a 2x4 behind the caliper (ie. so when you push in the piston, you're pushing the caliper into the side of the 2x4). The 'top' of the 2x4 is resting inside the wheel well (the rear shock absorber) and the 'bottom' of the 2x4 is sitting on top of your feet (the 2x4 is perpendicular to the ground).

Now when you push against the caliper, the 2x4 keeps it in place. yay! So while you're pushing on the caliper (make sure you keep your feet up to support the 2x4!) you rotate the universal tool with your ratchet, clockwise. If it seems to spin without going anywhere, rotate it counter-clockwise (backwards). You'll see the piston slowly come out and it will seem to grab a bit. At this point, start rotating it clockwise again and you'll see it go in. Just keep pushing in on the piston during the whole time (except for when you're switching your ratchet's direction). The other way to do it is to mount the caliper back onto the hub assy, but without the rotor. I think this is how we did it in the how-to, but I do recall doing it both ways.

hope that makes sense. It's really not that difficult once you get the hang of it. I'm a cheap bastard, and considering how I'm only going to use the tool once in a blue moon, I didn't want to spend more than $10 on a tool!
                  1.8T
                  Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

what an great write up, Flanders.

i know about the brake cube. it's a big PITA and i don't really want to go there because i'm a tool whore. the brake tool i'm really looking for is this unit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40732

it's only 40bux but i don't know where to get it in calgary...
                    Last edited by apoh; 08-09-2005, 02:47 PM.
                    2004 EOS 20D

www.photobolic.com

Comment

Originally posted by apoh
                      what an great write up, Flanders.

i know about the brake cube. it's a big PITA and i don't really want to go there because i'm a tool whore. the brake tool i'm really looking for is this unit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40732

it's only 40bux but i don't know where to get it in calgary...
                      PM me, you can borrow mine..
                      Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
                      You dig sucka?!

Comment

Working...
                      X