i have made up my mind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: i have made up my mind.

canadian turbo: can u please tell me why you prefer the HPA's? actually i was comparing the SHS coilovers (KW made) from HPA motorsports with the FK's in concept1..

anyone else can give me their choices and reason?

Comment

I wouldnt get coilovers for a daily driver in Calgary. If you must have them, go with the kw's, as they seem to be a little more reputable.
      2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

I have just heard good things about the KWs, I have no experience with them. I did own FK coils though and they did have a couple issues so I would just try the HPAs. As Chad mentioned he does not recommend coils, they are great for low drop but the adjustibility is a pain (and they seize a lot) and can ride quite rough, so it is up to you what you want.
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Yes, based on reputation alone the KW coilovers are the choice (over FK). I thought I wanted KWs for a long time, then I found out that, as with most coilovers, they won't raise back up to stock height. The height adjustability is from an already lowered stance (say about 1.5") downwards. The seizing issues (due to our climate) closed the deal for me.

KW does make a coilover that can return the car to stock height, but when I asked they told me it was only available on the Variant 3 and had an additional price tag on it, too.
          Brandon

Comment

what do you guys mean by seizing? how? please elaborate

my reason why i want the coils is that during winter times i can have a little more clearance off the ground. the coils i am going to get is from HPA motorsports in BC. they are made by KW's and called SHS's

they are lifetime warrantied and i have asked about the rust issues and they siad it is covered under the warranty. i am a newbie at modding cars so i what is the weather in calgary that cause the seize?? is it the differemce between hot/cold = expansion/contraction? or rust?

i know the adjustments might be a pain but i do not want my car to be low in the winter and i want my car looking sharp in the summer.

the new A5 are set up to be a little high, so the minimal drop of 2.5 front, 3.5 rear isn't too too bad?? please i need opinions!!! help!! :

Comment

if you want your car to look sharp during the summer buy a winter car..

take it from me.. i drove my brand new jetta for 1 winter and the front end was done!! never again will I drive my 'good' car during the winter..

as for coils what seizing means is exactly that.. the adjustable screwy up/down piece no longer moves so your once adjustable coilovers are now overpriced shocks/struts..

Comment

for me, a jetta is not a car that i will not drive for the winter because i have only 1 car. so it is impossible for me to do so....

i guess the main reason why i was thinking the coils are because of the adjustability. well, do you guys think a lowered car ( say, with hi-tec suspension) will do ok for calgary winter?

Eric

Comment

Working...
                X