• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW News Recalls etc...

VW recalls 39,000 Jettas for possible fuel leak

AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

Posted Date: 7/12/05

DETROIT -- Volkswagen AG is recalling 39,583 2005 Jetta sedans in the United States because of a possible fuel leak that could ignite a fire, Reuters reported last week.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says a fuel supply line clamp in the engine compartment "may not be positioned properly and could cause a fuel leak."

Separately, NHTSA said Ford Motor Co. is recalling 10,061 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SUVs because tires on the driver's side may be damaged, which could lead to tread separation and a crash.

Also, NHTSA said, Toyota Motor Corp. is recalling 11,592 2005 Tacoma pickups in the United States because of defective seat belt buckle sensors.

Debate on independent Internet site prompts Volkswagen of America boss to respond

RALPH KISIEL | Automotive News

Posted Date: 7/7/05

One day last month, Volkswagen of America boss Len Hunt was monitoring a highly charged Internet discussion about why some VW owners are leaving the brand.

As he read the opinions on VWvortex.com, an independent Web site for VW owners and enthusiasts, Hunt was goaded into action.

It's standard procedure to let such things pass if you are a senior executive. But Hunt couldn't help himself.

In a rare move for a high-ranking auto exec, Hunt went public: He posted a comment along with his name and title: "Len Hunt, executive vice president, Volkswagen of America Inc."

Sometimes people who post messages on the site pass themselves off as "Bernd Pischetsrieder" or "Ferdinand Piech," the names of VW Group's current and former CEOs. But Hunt's posting was the real deal.

Spontaneous post

"I just did it; it was totally spontaneous," says the VW brand's top U.S. exec. "I don't want people thinking I'm this faceless corporate suit somewhere."

Now Hunt is regularly posting comments on VWvortex.

Not that he went ballistic. Most of what he has to say is innocuous. For example, here he is what he said about the leaving-the-brand question:

"Thanks, Vortexers, for this subject which I obviously find very important. Our challenge seems to be a combination of quality and exciting vehicles. I can tell you all that we are listening to your views, and I personally take them with me on my many trips to the factory in Wolfsburg. Keep sending the comments; I'm listening."

That's what he might say in a press release. But Hunt says he also sends e-mails to some posters.

General Motors Vice Chairman Robert Lutz writes a Web log on GM's corporate Web site, but Hunt is the first senior auto executive to be spotted in an independent forum.

Among the topics Hunt has addressed online are prospects for more diesel offerings; the possibility of bringing a small car to the United States; and VW's controversial decision not to introduce the Microbus minivan here.

It is no surprise that Hunt and other executives at VWoA's Auburn Hills, Mich., headquarters regularly follow threads in the VWvortex forums. The Web site has more than 200,000 registered users, and more than 500,000 visitors each month.

That's a massive audience that Hunt wants to address personally.

'It's just me'

"I'm not doing this as a strategy or as a way of getting a formal channel of news or information," Hunt says. "It's not that at all. It's just me, Len Hunt, going on there because I'm interested in this."

And he has used the forum to make news.

Hunt, a native of England, recalls the Golf GTI cars he has owned in his homeland. So he quickly joined a VWvortex discussion about whether VW ought to bring a five-door GTI to the United States, in addition to the three-door model.

He broke the news that VW will bring a five-door model to the United States, about a year after the three-door model debuts in February.
    Some days you step in it, some days you don't.

Re: VW News Recalls etc...

Originally posted by Cordialtea
    He broke the news that VW will bring a five-door model to the United States, about a year after the three-door model debuts in February.

Fan-*******-tastic.
    Last edited by Mr. Burns; 08-05-2005, 12:38 PM.

Present
    2010 Audi A4 S-Line
    2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
    2003 VW Jetta GLI
    1992 VW Jetta GL
    1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns
      Fan-*******-tastic.
      I f****ing second that!!!!
      Last edited by LaDubDude; 08-05-2005, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Why do you want a 5 door GTI? Thats like the opposite of wanting a 3-door A3 to come to North America.
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
          Why do you want a 5 door GTI? Thats like the opposite of wanting a 3-door A3 to come to North America.
          Because I plan on having kids, and a 3door hatchback will not cut it... and I don't want a plain golf.

Present
          2010 Audi A4 S-Line
          2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
          2003 VW Jetta GLI
          1992 VW Jetta GL
          1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

I agree. 5 door GTI would be the only option for me as well.

Khyron
            Geoff
            Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

More 3 doors for the rest of us But yes it will be nice to have the choice and a bit more variety as well.
              Blair
              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

this news is almost pee-my-pants exciting. It will very likely be my next car.

The only thing I don't like (except for the 2.slow) is that two doors is a pain in the butt.

Problem solved... in about 2008 I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                  2 door is a PITA if you haul stuff around that can't go in the trunk (like blow up dolls or professional equipment of some kind). That's why I went with a Jetta instead of a GTI . . . and that's more or less the only reason for me to buy one over a GTI because I love GTIs.

Comment

Originally posted by LaDubDude
                    2 door is a PITA if you haul stuff around that can't go in the trunk (like blow up dolls or professional equipment of some kind). That's why I went with a Jetta instead of a GTI . . . and that's more or less the only reason for me to buy one over a GTI because I love GTIs.
                    2 doors is fine, my blow up doll sits on my lap.
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                      Mine charges extra for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                        That reminds me of the video I saw where a guys airbag deployed and it was a blow up doll
                        Name: Brent
                        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
                        X