Review: Shipping to Sweetgrass Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: Shipping to Sweetgrass Montana

SO a few people had some questions when I said that I was having an exhaust shipped to a holding warehouse in Montana to clear customs myself. Here is the breakdown of what happened: (Picked it up on Monday)

I sent the exhaust to:
    UPS SUpply Chain Solutions
    309 2nd st
    Sweetgrass Montana

You dont have to call them or anything, just send away. It is preferable to get a tracking number, so you know when it arrives.
    Sweetgrass is about an hours drive away from lethbridge, which is about 1.45mins away from Calgary (so 2.45 total one way) It is a nice straight drive.

You cross the border, and take your first left into Sweetgrass. When you get to UPS you walk and and tell them your name, and show ID. They give you your package, and there is a small holding fee. (Our was $15usd for 4 boxes..) Thats it, thats all.
    When you arrive at the Cdn border for re-entry, you tell them what you were doing, and how much you are declaring. They hand you a slip of paper, and you go inside and then pay tax on the item.

Thats it, thats all.

For a round up of costs:
    Shipping for full exhaust-Cal.-MT border $40usd (1.5x4ft box)
    Holding Charge at UPS $3.00usd
    GST $30.00cdn
    Then gas... $50cdn

Which is a ton cheaper then when I got my intercooler shipped up here, plus this box was bigger and heavier. I think UPS charged me $126 cdn brokerage on top of the $70 usd it cost to ship it here from Chicago.
    If anyone has anymore questions let me know, this was super easy, and I wouldnt hesitate on doing it again for large items! (or wait till you have several small ones, or other friends with things down there)
    Just as a note, they hold things for 60 days, then dispose of them.....And When you go down to SG, you have to bring some kind of reciept for tax purposes. I used my paypal print out and it worked fine.
    Last edited by R-Audi; 05-25-2005, 12:48 PM.

Re: Review: Shipping to Sweetgrass Montana

Screwing UPS is the best excuse for a roadtrip I've heard in a long time!
    That's awesome!

Originally posted by R-Audi
    SO a few people had some questions when I said that I was having an exhaust shipped to a holding warehouse in Montana to clear customs myself. Here is the breakdown of what happened: (Picked it up on Monday)

I sent the exhaust to:
    UPS SUpply Chain Solutions
    309 2nd st
    Sweetgrass Montana

You dont have to call them or anything, just send away. It is preferable to get a tracking number, so you know when it arrives.
    Sweetgrass is about an hours drive away from lethbridge, which is about 1.45mins away from Calgary (so 2.45 total one way) It is a nice straight drive.

You cross the border, and take your first left into Sweetgrass. When you get to UPS you walk and and tell them your name, and show ID. They give you your package, and there is a small holding fee. (Our was $15usd for 4 boxes..) Thats it, thats all.
    When you arrive at the Cdn border for re-entry, you tell them what you were doing, and how much you are declaring. They hand you a slip of paper, and you go inside and then pay tax on the item.

Thats it, thats all.

For a round up of costs:
    Shipping for full exhaust-Cal.-MT border $40usd (1.5x4ft box)
    Holding Charge at UPS $3.00usd
    GST $30.00cdn
    Then gas... $50cdn

Which is a ton cheaper then when I got my intercooler shipped up here, plus this box was bigger and heavier. I think UPS charged me $126 cdn brokerage on top of the $70 usd it cost to ship it here from Chicago.
    If anyone has anymore questions let me know, this was super easy, and I wouldnt hesitate on doing it again for large items! (or wait till you have several small ones, or other friends with things down there)
    Just as a note, they hold things for 60 days, then dispose of them.....And When you go down to SG, you have to bring some kind of reciept for tax purposes. I used my paypal print out and it worked fine.

Comment

That is an awsome way of shipping things! I hate the stupid brokerage fees, they are rediculous! Thanks for the heads up, I'll definately be doing this for my exhaust.
      Kyle
      2000 Audi S4

Comment

Ya, if I ever grow a pair and source some recaro's I'd do it this way for sure..Then id swap out my seats while in the states and find someone to sell my leathers...That would be badass..
        REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
        -james

Comment

good idea for someone who is thinking about recaros and big heavy crap like that! hmmm!
          2002 VW Golf GT TDI
          2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

That's awesome. way to stick it to UPS.

Present
            2010 Audi A4 S-Line
            2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
            2003 VW Jetta GLI
            1992 VW Jetta GL
            1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Yeah . . . FUNK UPS!!!

Comment

I'm always a fan of screwing stupid brokerage costs.

I just got a $60 brokerage bill today for a $200 item shipped from USA.
                Simon

Comment

When I ordered my Valentine 1 from the states I had it shipped express so that they would not charge brokerage fees, not a bad deal I thought.
                  Bryce

2002 Jetta 1.8T Baltic Green Tiptronic
                  APR 91, Carbonio CAI, Samco TIH, 2.5" Brullen Turbo-back, ABD Lower Intercooler Pipe, Forge 007 DV

Comment

what do i need to get into the US? is a drivers license good enough these days? or do you need passports now?
                    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Citizens can arill get in with drivers license and birth certificate, but they recommend a passport if you want it to be easy - otherwise it takes longer for them to process you at the border. I have recently travelled to the US once with a passport and once using just my license/birth certificate and it was way friendlier with the passport- no questions asked.
                      KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

hey i live in lethbridge and work down near the border a fair amount, so i could pick it up for you and then u could p/u in lethbridge.. If they allow somwone to pick up your package
                        Drive It Like You Stole It

Comment

Originally posted by bart
                          what do i need to get into the US? is a drivers license good enough these days? or do you need passports now?
                          I heard a rumor passports were going to be required soon.
                          Blair
                          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

yea blair that will be true soon. It already is pretty much 98% manditory for flying.

ps.. speaking of duty/shipping i'm still waiting/praying i don't get pwned on duty on that hood.

Comment

^ Should have read this thread over again before shipping!!
                              I hope for your sake you dont get Pwned... I guess it depends on how you shipped it!

Comment

Working...
                              X