Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDI manifold gunk

Hey TDI guys!

My buddy has an '02 Golf TDI with about 110,000km (that's like . . . ummmm . . .. 30,000km on a 1.8T). I want to help him out with a little gunk problem he's having - yes, that gunk problem. His mechanic says a new manifold may be needed and that there's nothing that can be done to prevent it from happening again. BS I SAY!!!

Isn't there a VAG-Com setting that can prevent the gunk from coming back? Also, I've never met a hunk of metal that couldn't be cleaned (even if it's a major PITA). His mechanic is sketch, but he's damn cheap . . . I suppose the trade off is bad advice sometimes.

Re: TDI manifold gunk

egr adjustment its called in vagcom, its in the faq on tdiclub. it will still come back some after a while. you just have to clean it every so often. and no, buying a new one isnt going to do anything lol.
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Yes he is feeding you a whole pile of BS. Cleaning your intake manifold will take you about 3-4 hours and is not all that hard to do. The tdiclub has some great writeups on all the items needed and a walkthrough. I personaly used castrol superclean and assorted scraping tools (ie screwdrivers lol) to do mine.
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
        Yes he is feeding you a whole pile of BS. Cleaning your intake manifold will take you about 3-4 hours and is not all that hard to do. The tdiclub has some great writeups on all the items needed and a walkthrough. I personaly used castrol superclean and assorted scraping tools (ie screwdrivers lol) to do mine.

what does the egr adjustment do??

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
          I personaly used castrol superclean and assorted scraping tools (ie screwdrivers lol) to do mine.
          That's why i always by screwdrivers with lifetime warranties . . . .

I knew that guy was feeding us BS. I'll refer my buddy to tdiclub. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by albertaTDI
            what does the egr adjustment do??
            It reduces the duty cycle of the egr, therefor there is less oil to buildup in the intake.
            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Another TDI coking up. LOL. People thinks cheap to operate in the first place but they cost more than a gas engine for maintenance. What gives?

VW 2L engine runs forever.

After all the troubles with my 00 Jetta TDI, VW cars will never on my shopping list ever.

Comment

talk to the fuel barrons,AB is a dumping ground for losey diesel
                v.w released a statement today for bio diesel contact your dealership for more info...
                LOL

QUOTE=B5]Another TDI coking up. LOL. People thinks cheap to operate in the first place but they cost more than a gas engine for maintenance. What gives?

After all the troubles with my 00 Jetta TDI, VW cars will never on my shopping list ever.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Actually, I believe the 1.8T also has intake manifold problems, Pat Goss on Motorweek ONLY mentioned the 1.8T when discussing intake manifold clogging and the BG System auger/solution they use to clean in. So its not just the diesels.

Comment

Originally posted by gtx
                    talk to the fuel barrons,AB is a dumping ground for losey diesel
                    v.w released a statement today for bio diesel contact your dealership for more info...
                    LOL

QUOTE=B5]Another TDI coking up. LOL. People thinks cheap to operate in the first place but they cost more than a gas engine for maintenance. What gives?

After all the troubles with my 00 Jetta TDI, VW cars will never on my shopping list ever.
                    [/QUOTE]

gtx started to goes by search engine from my stone age post about my TDI.

VW released statement today eh? Today date, May 13, 2005. This would help if this was released six freaking years ago. VWs TDI got bad rep because of the same reason, engine coking up.

Pretend you are that guy, thinking of your new purchased TDI will last you 10yrs of trouble free period. The engine coking up halfway and you need to pay big buxs to fix just to keep it on the road. What do you think the value of the car now? Any downtime means zero value to me.

According to the Vortex nazis, VW bugs are part of it's charm. Bugs in a GM means GM = crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Stampfan
                      Actually, I believe the 1.8T also has intake manifold problems, Pat Goss on Motorweek ONLY mentioned the 1.8T when discussing intake manifold clogging and the BG System auger/solution they use to clean in. So its not just the diesels.

SFC has completely pulled out the BG System cleaning services for MK4 TDIs. The information I received was once the carbon chunk lifted out from the intake there are chances causing the valves to bent, and the engine will not start because the chunk stuck and cannot produce compression. Incidents have happened.

The BG System cleaning was a good service given that your car is not badly coked up. The chemical solution will clean the exhaust valves, the cooler, the VNT turbo(include the internal mechanism) and the cat.

Comment

Avoiding the Need for Intake Manifold Cleaning - Recalibrating the EGR System - this vehicle is equipped with a CCV (crankcase vent) system and an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system. Oily fumes from the CCV system can combine with carbon particles from the EGR system to form a black sticky tar in the intake system. This eventually starts restricting the amount of airflow into the engine, resulting in gradual power loss as the vehicle ages and the intake clogging becomes worse. In rare cases a MIL ("check engine" light) may be tripped, with an intake manifold pressure control code set, but normally this does not happen and no codes are set. Operating conditions, fuel quality, oil quality, driving habits, and general condition of the engine all have some effect on how long the intake system survives before clogging up. It can be prevented and this recalibration is highly recommended for all TDI owners.
                        A VW specific scan tool such as VAG-COM is required for this procedure. With the engine warmed up and running at idle in neutral with all major accessories such as air conditioning turned off, connect the scan tool cable and start the scan tool software. Select engine control module. "Login" using 12233 as the access code. Select "adaptation" and go to adaptation block 3. Give the accelerator pedal a quick "blip" to ensure that the EGR remains turned on for the next minute while you perform the following steps. Note that the display shows a default adaptation value of 32768 and shows approximately 250 +/- 20 mg/stroke of air intake volume. (If it does not show this, you are either on the wrong screen, or you have an older ECU that differs slightly - see next paragraph.) If all is well, enter 33768 as the new adaptation value, and select "test". Note that the displayed air intake volume changes, usually to about 370 mg/stroke. The specification limit is 370 mg/stroke, so if you want to remain within OEM shop manual specifications for emission control reasons, you might have to enter a number slightly smaller than 33768. (If you don't care about road-legal NOx emission limits then leave it at 33768. [Depending on the usage cycle, NOx at this setting can be increased by as much as 40%]) If all is well and you have a seting that you are happy with which results in an intake air volume of 370 mg/stroke or just a hair less, enter "save". Now your intake manifold either will never clog, or will take so long that the engine will wear out first.

Note for '96 Passat and possibly other older ECU variations: The adaptation numbers are in a different range, and you won't be able to get feedback on what you are doing on the same screen. The EGR adaptation number for a '96 Passat with the original "BK" ECU is 188 rather than 33768 and you'll have to go back to "measuring blocks" group 3 to see the effect before "saving" the new setting.
                        As for warranty, no one has mentioned any problems nor should there be. This adjustment is also completely reversable should one be concerned.
                        Most provinces and states that do emissions testing on diesels, just check opacity, so this will not be a factor when testing.
                        Dieseltuning North America
                        7024 Barkley DR.
                        Delta BC V4E1T6
                        604 861-3012
                        Fax 604 676-2554
                        joe@dieseltuning.ca

Comment

Thanks Dieseltuning. . . very thorough. My friend thought I was nuts when I told him I could save him $$$ with my laptop and a cable. Those numbers are exactly what he needs to see to prove I'm only half nuts

In terms of the actual cleaning, is there any particular product we should stay away from? Figured I'd ask now instead of telling a story about a melting intake manifold in a week

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by LaDubDude
                            Thanks Dieseltuning. . . very thorough. My friend thought I was nuts when I told him I could save him $$$ with my laptop and a cable. Those numbers are exactly what he needs to see to prove I'm only half nuts

In terms of the actual cleaning, is there any particular product we should stay away from? Figured I'd ask now instead of telling a story about a melting intake manifold in a week

Cheers
                            The intake is cast so really anything works on it. It is really an easy job, just time consuming and messy. Ohh and yes a vag-com cable will save you cash everytime you pop a CEL or want to log some measuring block or want to adapt something etc etc It is really a good investment.

Comment

Working...
                            X