Starter noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter noise

I have noticed that after a cold start that there is a sound that comes out of the starter and it sounds like a dry bushing, kind of a squawk and it only lasts a second but it bugs me. Anyone here have a the starter apart on a Mk4? Does it have a bearing near the starter gear or is it a bushing? Is it safe to give it a dab of white grease if I take it apart?
    Barry
    Tossa Blue Metalic 2008 Jetta City
    Mods; Clear side markers, Wolflsburg suspension, painted calipers, aftermarket fog lights, blue LED park lights, Euro Aluminum Antenna Mast

Re: Starter noise

Same thing happens to my wifes car once in awhile and the starte looks new too (I still have to check the records from when we bought it). I have heard reports that a bad front engine mount can cause this too but have yet to look into it.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I've never heard that it's due to an engine mount before.

Cold start starter grind seems to be fairly common. Almost sounds like it stays engaged for an extra second when the engine first fires up.

I took mine apart and greased the death out of it (and made a how to!) :
      http://www.ottawa-vdubbing.com/info/...mk4starter.htm

This fixed it for a few months, but it's slowly coming back. Seems to be just a crappy starter motor design...

If you're still covered under warrantee (b2b is 4 years for you, right?) then I'd see if the dealer will replace it first, before you spend an intimate afternoon with your starter.
      1.8T
      Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Flanders
        If you're still covered under warrantee (b2b is 4 years for you, right?) then I'd see if the dealer will replace it first, before you spend an intimate afternoon with your starter.
        Thanks, that is a damn fine DIY. I am not used to this warranty thing as I have always fixed most things myself, but you are right I should have NL take a look first. A replacement is better than a refurb any day.
        Barry
        Tossa Blue Metalic 2008 Jetta City
        Mods; Clear side markers, Wolflsburg suspension, painted calipers, aftermarket fog lights, blue LED park lights, Euro Aluminum Antenna Mast

Comment

Thank a lot Flanders, I thought I had seen something like that in the past. I guess I know what I am doing this weekend... I think I have a shot CV joint too, know of any good ways to check them? It is suddering on decelleration and cv is the only thing I can think of that would do it.
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

taking apart the starter really wasn't that bad. Maybe a little bit of a PITA, but at least with some pictures it'll make the job easier

Not sure about the CV joints. Usually when they 'go' they clunkclunkclunkclunk when you accelerate around a corner. Odds are a boot will have cracked first though, allowing debris to get in there. Deceleration shouldn't cause a CV to make noise...to me, that sounds more like brakes/tires!
            1.8T
            Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Flanders
              taking apart the starter really wasn't that bad. Maybe a little bit of a PITA, but at least with some pictures it'll make the job easier

Not sure about the CV joints. Usually when they 'go' they clunkclunkclunkclunk when you accelerate around a corner. Odds are a boot will have cracked first though, allowing debris to get in there. Deceleration shouldn't cause a CV to make noise...to me, that sounds more like brakes/tires!
              Apon driving home I heard grinding all the way to I think my wheel bearring is shot I guess it had a short life, after that accident I am not surprised
              So it looks like I am going to have to do a write up on changing them

Comment

A not bad way to check CV's is to stop the car and crank the wheel all the way to one side, If the CV on that side is gone it will make a popping sound repeatedly, at least that's what I've seen. Then turn it to the other side to check the other one.
                Jay

Comment

Working...
                X