My Custom Phatty Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Custom Phatty Install

Here it is... this was the second install, going into AgentNox's Golf.

http://members.shaw.ca/cjwilkins

Re: My Custom Phatty Install

Nice work.
    billip
    2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Should do this install at the dealer!
      Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
      You dig sucka?!

Comment

nice. i need to get me a phatbox
        Dayle

GTI

Mk3's

Comment

You might be able to get the 14 inch hardboard pre-cut at Home Depot, I've seen several different cuts available there.

Comment

Wow I am impressed! Only thing to worry about it make sure the wheel is well sealed because it moisure gets in there it will cause problems. I had that problem with my install for the first little bit before I sealed it up good.
            Name: Brent
            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

This may be a dumb question, but where would it require sealing? I love that Phatbox, and I'd like to ensure it's safe so I can mystify other drivers at red lights with my exhuberant seated dancing for years to come.
              Heather

Black 2000 Golf GL
              PhatBoxed so it talks to me. Yes, I call it K.I.T.T.

Making some headway with the MasterCard, starting to eye some 18" wheels

Comment

That is awesome!

I have been pondering what to 'officially' do with mine (it's just laying loose right now, not unlike my ex-wife. ) as I don't want to mount it according to the recommended install.

I am hesitant to do that install because the cartridge would stick out and I am CERTAIN that one of my dogs would find it a fascinating snack/playtoy/scratching post during a much loved car-ride.

The spare tire well though looks like the ticket! As for moisture I could just toss a couple hundred of those silica-gel packs in the well. I've always wondered what I could do with those instead of throwing them out.

Comment

[QUOTE=NeonGTI I've always wondered what I could do with those instead of throwing them out.[/QUOTE]

You mean you can't eat them!!
                  Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
                  You dig sucka?!

Comment

Silica gel is a great idea. If anyone is wondering where to get their hands on a bunch of them try a camera store. I carry a bunch in my camera bags, since moisture will officially screw my lenses.
                    Heather

Black 2000 Golf GL
                    PhatBoxed so it talks to me. Yes, I call it K.I.T.T.

Making some headway with the MasterCard, starting to eye some 18" wheels

Comment

[QUOTE=(it's just laying loose right now, not unlike my ex-wife. ) [/QUOTE]
                      have to love your exwife cracks.
                      Really you just have to make sure the plugs under the spare tire are seeling well and maybe throw some silcon in them for good measure.
                      Name: Brent
                      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

another dumb question -- what was the reason for not using the stock cd changer location in a golf?

I've got a Jetta, and the cd changer location is ideal. What's so different with a golf?
                        1.8T
                        Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Flanders
                          another dumb question -- what was the reason for not using the stock cd changer location in a golf?

I've got a Jetta, and the cd changer location is ideal. What's so different with a golf?
                          The stock mount is not deep enough. the cord needs some clearance at the back and the cartridge sticks out the front. The stock install calls for you to cut a hole in your cubby for the phatbox to stick out of.

Comment

ahhh...gotcha.

I just noticed (2 minutes ago out in the parking lot) that the 'mounting brackets' sold for the Jetta don't actually work very well with the cd changer bracket. It doesn't fit when you connect the bracket to the phatnoise with the screws. Grrr.
                            1.8T
                            Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

what is a phatbox?
                              My signature is so last year...

Comment

Working...
                              X