Help Changing Fan Belt on MKII golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Changing Fan Belt on MKII golf

how do you get the bottom alternator bolt loose so you can pivot it down to get the new belt on and do you need a special tool to lossen this bolt ? i know this is a dumb question but i need to know asap so i can get the golf running again
    trevor

Re: Help Changing Fan Belt on MKII golf

i'm pretty sure its just a regular bolt!
    just remember to tighten it back up

Comment

LOL stubby box end wrench and alot of knuckle wacking!
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardy_Boy
        i'm pretty sure its just a regular bolt!
        just remember to tighten it back up
        I could not see in there very well , but it felt like a normal bolt with aN "input" in the centre for a torx driver or something. i cound not get a socket on in either so i don't know

Comment

Originally posted by albertaTDI
          how do you get the bottom alternator bolt loose so you can pivot it down to get the new belt on and do you need a special tool to lossen this bolt ? i know this is a dumb question but i need to know asap so i can get the golf running again
          trevor
          Trev, There are a total of three fasteners you need to loosten before you can get the pump free enough to use the adjuster. two are visable and one is tucked away behind your power steering pump.. Here is a typical Mk2 setup.

Hope that helps.
          Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
          You dig sucka?!

Comment

Originally posted by Volkstech
            Trev, There are a total of three fasteners you need to loosten before you can get the pump free enough to use the adjuster. two are visable and one is tucked away behind your power steering pump.. Here is a typical Mk2 setup.

Hope that helps.
            that is awsome but... is it the belt on the outside that runs fron the alternator to the crank and to the water pump and i am assuming the alternator doubles as the tensonor and it needs to pivot on that bottom bolt.ley me know if i am way out to lunch
            p.s. no powwer steering and no a.c.
            Last edited by albertaTDI; 04-26-2005, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by albertaTDI
              that is awsome but... is it the belt on the outside that runs fron the alternator to the crank and to the water pump and i am assuming the alternator doubles as the tensonor and it needs to pivot on that bottom bolt.ley me know if i am way out to lunch
              p.s. no powwer steering and no a.c.
              My mk2 was the same way. If it is really rusted loosen the top bolt a bit and then use a 12mm (I think) feel around for the bolt and pull up to loosten it
              Name: Brent
              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

sweet i will try this tomorrow if this snow stops arrgh..stupid cold weather
                thanks everyone for the speedy replys and if anyone has anything else to add feel free

Comment

my tensioner was rusted out so had to use a pry bar to tighten it up. but with my mk2 i believe it was a regular bolt inside that timing belt cover that allows the whole arm that holds up the alternator to pivot.

Comment

Working...
                  X