Anyone know about MK3 Diesels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know about MK3 Diesels

I have a friend that is going to look at one on the weekend, it's a 97. There was some good info over on CVD but I was hoping to get opinions on the 2 motors that came with them in 97. Are they both ok? Does one suck? Also, I'd like to know what an easy way to check is, I'm sure there will be an engine code or something I can look at to determine. Someone on CVD said there were bugs to be worked out on the early TDi's, is there truth to that? Thanks guys.
    Jay

Re: Anyone know about MK3 Diesels

I think most of them were pretty solid, you can take the VIN to the dealer that serviced it and check to see if it was a problem car.

Comment

Try to buy a TDI not a plain diesel. The older NON TDI engines seemed to have crank issues if the balancer on the crank is worn or has been removed. the bolt is a torque to yield (non reusable). I put at LEAST 1 motor a year in an A3 Jetta/golf because of this problem. I personally think the non TDI engine in the A3 is the weakest diesel engine VW makes due to the crank problems. The TDI engine in the A3 is pretty good, i don't see many major problems with them.

Comment

In all honesty the MK3 TDI's are way more reliable then the MK4's. It is all due to the turbo, the MK4's use a VNT (Very uNrelaiable Turbo) turbo that have all type of problems where a MK3 uses a wastegated turbo which seems to work very well. I would steer away from the TD's as they do have that crank issue and can be more maintance.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys! Is there any easy way to tell (sorry, i've never seen a MK3 TDI). I know they have the grill badge but that's pretty easy to stick in there.

Edit: I may not be there to look at it, so a way for my friend and her Dad to be able to tell would be the best.
          Last edited by Tuna; 04-15-2005, 09:42 AM.
          Jay

Comment

The Jetta's also had a TDI badge on the right side of the trunk.

Present
            2010 Audi A4 S-Line
            2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
            2003 VW Jetta GLI
            1992 VW Jetta GL
            1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Working...
            X