Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to the v-dub scene

sup ppl, im new to the scene but i wanna get into it you know what i mean

im just a high school student with a part-time job saving up for a euro car...ne tips of what i should do with my money? i can't decide for myself

Re: new to the v-dub scene

welcome to the site
    which HS do you go to?

we are kind of biased....but I'm sure most of us will recommend getting a VW as your first car

Comment

hahaha yo after seeing all your rides, im motivated to get one for sure...

yea i go to diefenbaker high school....daelen nekuda on this site is helping me get into the scene, right now i drive a 94 grand am (my parents mwahahaha) hahaha

Comment

well depending on your budget you can find some good cars in the classifieds on here.. one of the best is liquids 2003 GLI 24v VR6 6spd.. if you could afford it i'd rock it

Comment

Welcome!

I used to drive a Cavalier so I know where you're coming from in the Grand Am. My family are all pontiac nuts, my mom and brother have Sunfires and my dad drives a Grand Prix.

Anyhow, go veedub and you'll never go back!

If you're thinking about a car, you should first sort out if you're going to go old school Mk1-2, Mk3 (gets its own category) or the new-school Mk4. Probably depends on your budget but not entirely - you can buy a Mk4 for less than a Mk3 depending on options, kms, etc.

Don't think that newer is necessarilly better, a lot of guys have more respect for the old school cars and how you can make them look like classic euro rides.
          You can make other decisions like do you want to be all show? Or all about speed? Both? Again the newer cars arent necessarilly faster. This decision may effect the vehicle's price and what you want to do with it (if anything).

Lastly, you can start to work out details like what specific mods you might want to plan. Coming up with a plan rather than doing things as you go will probably make you a better car in the end. For example, buying an aggressive body kit might look good, and some subtle old-school wheels may look good, but if you put them together then your car just looks mixed up or like nothing special.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Welcome to the Club Forums! Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything! Hope to see you out at one of our meetings!
            Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
            You dig sucka?!

Comment

haha whats up shane!! nice to see you are coming around on the Vdubs... so you still looking into bmw or are you leaning toward a vw?

Comment

Welcome to the boards Shane. There is lots of good info and opinions around here so I am sure you can find something you like! You should come out with Daelen to the next meet and see some cars in person!
                Blair
                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Yes welcome. Come out to a meet, maybe it'll give you an idea of what you want to save up for. And if you get a BMW well come out anyway and hang out, I love modded Beemers.

Kor had some very good advice, are you thinking of saving up to buy something newer or just trying to get something for a few grand? That will kind of determine what you can get into. The nice thing about VW's is if you're buying an older one, cost of ownership is much less than say an older BMW or Mercedes, so if you want more mod money than VW is a good option. There's always Audi too.
                  Jay

Comment

I LOVE! My MK3 GLX! And its a great buy from someone like myself (still in school)
                    2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
                    My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Comment

not to sound like a dick, but don't buy the car you want for your first car

Buy a shitty old neon or something for like 1500 bux as you will wreck the piss out of your first car, like every teen does My accord and I had some rough times haha.
                      REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                      -james

Comment

I disagree with James. A first car stays in your memory forever...... get something you'll be proud of for sure
                        Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

Comment

Originally posted by liquid
                          I disagree with James. A first car stays in your memory forever...... get something you'll be proud of for sure
                          ....as long as you take care of it.
                          Jay

Comment

Ya, the first car stays in your memory, this is true...So does your first accident. My first car was a POS and my parents are fairly well-to-do so I didn't understand why I didnt get something nice (haha how spoiled does that sound?! but you know what I mean)

Anyways, after i backed into a couple people in parking lots, e-brake turned around corners and just generally bagged the car for a year and a half I totally understood where my parents were coming from haha. Now that I know how to properly drive and have a respect for the road, I appriciate my dub more than I would have at 16. Id suggest buying a POS and saving your pennies for a few years, if you want to mod your POS do what I did, stereo only! You can move amps and subs and (sometimes) speakers into your next whip.

edit: No matter what car you have as your first, you're going to be proud of it. It's about the most independance you get until you move out
                            Last edited by James; 04-13-2005, 10:32 AM.
                            REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                            -james

Comment

i agree with both of you..

my first car i drove from 16-21 it was a POS 86 buick regal v8.. it was rusty and stalled lots due to it being carbed.. but it worked and got me from a->b

i appreciated this car a ton my parents bought it for me and they could have bought me a brand new car and my dad said here your getting this.. learn to drive with no ABS and RWD. have fun

i bought my jetta when i was 21 i made my own payments, my own insurance, my own whatever.. i pay for all my mods (no cc's)

i enjoy both cars.. the fact i went to school and worked to get me where i am today makes me enjoy the jetta a bit more.. because i earned it myself.. same thing with my house.. i paid for it myself.. pretty funny when your 22 and you own your own place and a brand new car

Comment

Working...
                              X