Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel clutch combo...

Hey guys,

I'm looking into a clutch/flywheel combo for my 1.8T. It currently uses an O2A transmission out of a Passat G60 with a TDI Gearset and ratios.

I was looking into the ECS Tuning Stage 1 kit which comes complete with VR6 clutch, pressure plate and fixins as well as a lightened 12lb G60 Flywheel.

I have also seen Autotech's lightened flywheel at 7lbs. However I have read that too light of a flywheel is not great for street applications as your RPM drop incredible fast and it can cause un-necessary wear to you clutch and engine. Can someone enlighten me with their knowledge on the matter. To this date I'm leaning towards the ECS Kit as it is a great price ($399.99 USD Shipped) and I feel as if the 12lb flywheel is good enough for my needs.

Thanks guys,

Kris

Re: Flywheel clutch combo...

Originally posted by Kris
    Hey guys,
    It currently uses an O2A transmission out of a Passat G60 with a TDI Gearset and ratios.
    OMG, when and why did you swap it out?

Sachs seem to be the best clutch around, I would spend a little extra and pickup a clutch from them if I needed one.

When I eventually do replace my clutch, I will retain the stock dual-mass flywheel from the 1.8T.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
      OMG, when and why did you swap it out?

Sachs seem to be the best clutch around, I would spend a little extra and pickup a clutch from them if I needed one.

When I eventually do replace my clutch, I will retain the stock dual-mass flywheel from the 1.8T.
      He's a MK3 guy....perhaps there were fitment issues?
      Last edited by Tuna; 03-23-2005, 05:47 PM.
      Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna
        He's a MK3 guy....perhaps there were fitment issues?
        yah...they were fitment issues. the o2j tranny uses 110mm flanges and would not bolt up to the 100mm hubs the o2o uses. the 02j actually bolts in no problem and fits well, but the 02a is just as strong and would allow me to use mk3 vr6 parts to hook up the shifter assebly and hydro-clutch...it tranny uses a o2j style differential with bolt in hubs rather than the clip/snap in hubs of the o2o...which account for the main reason i'm swapping tranny's...i completely toates the differential on my o2o just days after i got the car with the 1.8t...the whole hub popped out as the gears sheared from inside the casing...

why would you keep the dual mass flywheel? any perks to this? someone recommended a dual mass flywheel from a mk4 tdi to me however i thought the more mass it has the slower your engine reved to the torque curve...

i will go with the SACHS..although i did use the ACT 020 cluth in my o2o and it did perform quite well

Kris

Comment

Originally posted by Kris
          why would you keep the dual mass flywheel? any perks to this? someone recommended a dual mass flywheel from a mk4 tdi to me however i thought the more mass it has the slower your engine reved to the torque curve...
          I don't 100% know what im talking about here, so please correct me if I am wrong, I don't know much about transmissions.

One thing the dual mass does is dramatically lower gearbox noise.

A dual-mass (in theory) also lets you use lighter gearbox oil which means less friction in the bearings/gears, especially in the winter.

From Sachs website:

"The engine‘s ignition-induced rotational speed irregularity causes torsional vibration in the vehicle‘s driveline. At a given speed the ignition frequency is equal to the natural frequency of the driveline so that extremely high vibration amplitudes occur." Yikes.

One thing to think about when going to a lightened flywheel is where the weight is. Since it is a rotating mass, if more of the weight is farther towards the outside of the wheel, then it has greater inertia than a heavier wheel with more weight on the inside (closer to the center). Although the makers of lightweight flywheels know this, they also are somewhat limited by the fact that the outside needs to be made strong.

One consideration is that the VR6 clutch/flywheel is (I believe) wider in diameter than the stock 1.8t equivalent. This means that when people switch to a clutch upgrade with VR6 parts (very commonly done), they are automatically moving the weight on the flywheel farther out. Therefore you need the flywheel to be lighter just so that you can have the same feel as you did before.

Even though the 1.8T dual mass weighs 20 lbs, it feels VERY SIMILAR to the 14lb "lightened" flywheels at the VR6 size, partly because of the difference in where the weight is. I have been told that you need to go below 14lbs using the VR6-diameter clutch parts to really make a noticable difference.
          Last edited by Kor; 03-23-2005, 07:22 PM.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

And also, as you said, having your RPMs drop extremely fast doesn't actually help you drive better.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

yah...true that...i dont wanna be rushed and having to shift like a F1 racer so that my car doesn't jerk all the time...i like to drive more relaxed and just lay on the throttle on open roads and once in a while for some fun...thats the main reason why i'm steering clear of the 7lb flywheel...as i've heard many people complain of instant rpm drop

Kris

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                And also, as you said, having your RPMs drop extremely fast doesn't actually help you drive better.
                On top of that is the noise>http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm

Comment

Originally posted by B5
                  great...thanks for the link

Comment

Working...
                  X